Appendix 9: Public Interest Disclosures Report to Minister
In accordance with Section 31 of the Public Interest Disclosures Act 1994, Roads and Maritime is supplying the following information (as stipulated by Clause 4 of Public Interest Disclosures Regulation 2011) to the Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight and the Minister for Transport. The Act came into effect on 1 January 2012 and the reporting period for this report is 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2017.
On 1 January 2014, the following three categories of public interest disclosures were established:
- public interest disclosures made by public officials performing their day-to-day functions
- public interest disclosures made under a statutory or other legal obligation
- all other public interest disclosures.
In 2016‑17 Roads and Maritime finalised 16 public interest disclosures that have been received since 1 January 2012.
In accordance with section 6D of the Public Interest Disclosures Act 1994, Roads and Maritime has a public interest disclosures internal reporting policy in place.
The Chief Executive has taken action to meet employee awareness obligations under Section 6E (1) (b) of the Public Interest Disclosures Act 1994. The actions taken include:
- providing a policy briefing to senior managers
- publishing a statement of commitment on the agency's intranet site
- online public interest disclosures reporting form established on the intranet
- reinforcement of public interest disclosures reporting processes in Compass News.
- information on public interest disclosures is included in the Code of Conduct e-learning module completed by all new employees and is discussed at the face-to-face on boarding days.
- public interest disclosure incorporated in the Fraud and Corruption Prevention training provided by the Corruption Prevention and Investigation Section. During the year, 25 training sessions were given at various locations around the state.
Table 38: Public Interest Disclosures for Roads and Maritime Services 2016‑17
|Public Interest Disclosures made by public officials performing their day-to-day functions||Public Interest Disclosures made under a statutory or other legal obligation||All other Public Interest Disclosures||Total Public Interest Disclosures 2016‑17|
|Number of public officials who made Public Interest Disclosures directly||7||0||8||15|
|Number of Public Interest Disclosures received||7||0||11||18|
|Of Public Interest Disclosures received, number primarily about:|
|Serious and substantial waste||0||0||0||0|
|Government information contravention||0||0||0||0|
|Local government pecuniary interest contravention||0||0||0||0|