Roads and Maritime support the planning, construction and maintenance of the state road network and relevant maritime activities. In doing this, a diverse range of environmental risks need to be recognised and managed to minimise our impact on the environment.
Environment Operations staff optimise Roads and Maritime’s environmental performance across construction and maintenance activities by:
- Managing risks associated with construction and maintenance activities
- Making environmental responsibility everyone’s responsibility
- Influencing best practice behaviours in environmental risk minimisation
- Building and maintaining relationships with:
- environmental stakeholders
- contractor partners
- Building the environmental management and technical capability of our staff and contractors by identifying training and development needs
- Providing key advice during the environmental planning and assessment phase of construction and maintenance activities
- Undertaking routine environmental inspections of construction and maintenance activities to ensure they comply with contractual and legislative requirementS
- Co-ordinating responses to environmental incidents as a result of construction and maintenance activities.
Our environmental stakeholders include the Environment Protection Authority, Department of Planning and Environment, Department of Primary Industries, the Office of Environment and Heritage and Local Government regarding licensing and compliance issues.
Environmental inspections, and the resulting Environmental Inspection Reports, are an important proactive tool for ensuring that Roads and Maritime construction and maintenance activities comply with contractual and legislative requirements.
The Environmental Inspection Guidance Note outlines the purpose of the Environmental Inspection Report and provides guidance on completing its various components. Please contact us for further information.
Environmental incident classification and reporting procedure
The Environmental Incident Classification and Reporting Procedure ensures that Roads and Maritime has processes in place to:
- Classify and report environmental incidents that may occur during road construction and maintenance activities, and
- Comply with its statutory obligations to report certain incidents.
Contacts and further information
For general environment-related enquires contact the relevant regional/section Environment Manager:
- Sydney (head office): Sally Durham - (02) 8843 3048
- Hunter region: Renae Martin - (02) 4924 0440
- Northern region: Greg Collins - (02) 6640 1072
- Southern region: Graham Roche - (02) 6492 9515
- Southwest region: Daniel Francis - (02) 6923 3419
- Sydney region: Tracey Austin - (02) 8849 2983
- Western region: Neil Glastonbury - (02) 6861 1628
- Pacific Highway: Scott Lawrence - (02) 6640 1375