State Budget sees record road funding
Tuesday 17 June 2014
State Budget sees record road funding for the Illawarra
Minister for the Illawarra John Ajaka welcomed today’s State Budget as a major step forward in rebuilding infrastructure and services in the Illawarra.
“The Baird Government is delivering massive funding in health, education, transport, disability services, ageing and police sectors, following years of Labor’s neglect of the Illawarra region, which they simply took for granted,” Mr Ajaka said.
“The big win this year for the region is the allocation of a staggering $217 million for roads alone.
“Key road spending includes $11 million to progress future planning on the F6, $1 million to continue planning for the future Princes Motorway bypass of Albion Park Rail and $76.5 million to complete the Gerringong Princes Highway upgrade.
“These projects aim to deliver improved travel time and road safety for motorists and freight operators alike.
“The Princes Highway is a vital corridor in NSW’s productivity chain and these upgrades will provide a significant boost for the regional economy.
“The NSW Liberals & Nationals Government has delivered record spending on roads in the Illawarra since coming into power and continues to deliver with record funding allocated in this year’s Budget.
“In health, $8 million has been allocated in the 2014/15 NSW Budget to start building on the Bulli Hospital Aged/Transitional Care Unit, $10.3 million allocated to continue work on the $30.5 million Wollongong Hospital car park and $47.2 million to continue work on the $106 million Illawarra Elective Surgical Services Unit at Wollongong Hospital
“In education $572 million has been allocated for Government schools and capital funding for work to continue the Illawarra Industry Training College.
“A record $2.9 billion has been allocated in 2014-15 across New South Wales to support the ageing, people with disability, their families and carers, many which reside in the Illawarra region.
“Earlier this month I joined the Treasurer to announce the state’s pensioners and seniors will not bear the brunt of harsh cuts to concessions by the Federal Government.
“A National Partnership agreement was axed without consultation in the Federal Budget, resulting in $450 million over four years being withdrawn for pensioner and senior concessions from July 1 this year.
“The funding went to discounted public transport fares, cheaper energy and water bills, council rates and vehicle registration.
“The NSW Government has allocated $107 million in our Budget to counteract the Federal pensioner concession cuts.
"This year's disability services budget will contain a 7.2 per cent boost to enable people with disability, their families and carers, and their service providers to transition seamlessly to the NDIS."
The Budget also contains over $3.5 million in funding to expand and improve accommodation for people with disability. Projects will include:
- $200,000 for completion of a 5 bedroom group home in Coniston
- $200,000 for commencement of a 5 bed villa model in Wollongong
- $300,000 for completion of a new group home in the Dapto
- $500,000 for commencement of a 5 bedroom group home in Koonawarra
- $1 million for construction of a group home in Towradgi Wollongong
Mr Ajaka said overall he was pleased with funding allocated for the region in this year’s budget which shows the NSW Government is getting on with the job of transforming NSW.
“I am stoked at the record road funding for our area which will create jobs, boost regional revenue and hopefully attract more visitors,” Mr Ajaka said.
Media contact: Vanessa Rofe 0419 618 081
Further highlights in this year’s Budget for the Illawarra:
- $185 million has been allocated for upgrades on the Princes Highway including:
o $80 million to start building the Princes Highway Foxground and Berry bypass
o $76.5 million to complete the Princes Highway Gerringong upgrade between Mount Pleasant and Toolijooa Road
o $2 million to continue planning for additional climbing lanes on the Princes Motorway (Mount Ousley Road)
o $10 million to continue planning for the upgrade of the Princes Highway between Berry and Bomaderry.
- $2 million to continue planning for the Shoalhaven River bridge at Nowra
- $2 million to continue building the Pedestrian Bridge over the Princes Highway at Heathcote
- $2.8 million to complete construction of the northbound acceleration lane on the Princes Motorway (Mount Ousley Road) from Picton Road.
- $6.7 million to start a new ambulatory care facility at Shellharbour Hospital and to continue planning for the hospital’s expansion
- $990,000 for Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District for additional Clinical Nurse/Midwife Educators/Clinical Nurse/Midwife Specialists.
- $4.1 million for 20 beds for mental health sub-acute treatment.
POLICE AND JUSTICE
- $10.564 million to upgrade and refurbish the Wollongong Courthouse
- Share in $153 million in recurrent funding over four years to employ additional police, as part of the Government’s commitment to increase the authorised strength of the NSW Police Force by a further 309 officers to 16,665 in August 2015.
- Share in $4 million across two years to purchase body worn video cameras for frontline police officers.
View or download the original media release (PDF)