Major work starts on $85 million upgrade of Great Western Highway at Kelso

15th October 2014

Paul Toole Member for Bathurst today announced that work will commence this month on the 2.4 kilometre stage two section of the Great Western Highway upgrade at Kelso.

Mr. Toole said, “The highway will be upgraded to four lanes from just west of Lee Street to just east of Ashworth Drive. Work will involve rebuilding and widening the road and building a central concrete median.”

“The NSW Government provided $22 million this year to start work on the $85 million highway upgrade. Burton Contractors was selected in a competitive tender process earlier this month as the preferred tenderer for the contract to upgrade this section.”

“Major work will also include building a new bridge over Boyd Creek and intersection upgrades at Boyd Street, View Street and Pat O’Leary Drive.

New roundabouts will be built at Littlebourne Street and Ashworth Drive. New pedestrian and cyclist access will also be provided.”

“This project is part of the NSW Government’s commitment to improve road safety and freight efficiency. The work addresses existing peak congestion and also caters for predicted traffic growth as a result of developments occurring in the area,” Mr. Toole said.

Early work is under way for the project which will continue before major building work starts. New traffic lights were switched on to improve safety and traffic flow for motorists turning out of Stockland Drive onto the Great Western Highway in early September.

“Work is continuing on kerb and guttering and the medians at the intersection,” Mr. Toole concluded.

Roads and Maritime Services are also advising motorists of changed traffic conditions on the Great Western Highway at Kelso for preparatory work from this Wednesday on the $85 million upgrade.

Work will involve installing concrete barriers to create a safe work space and surveying utilities, between 7am and 6pm from just west of Lee Street to just east of Ashworth Drive.

To reduce the impact to motorists, some placement of concrete traffic barriers between Littlebourne Street and Ashworth Drive will be carried out during two weeks of night work from Sunday 19 to Thursday 23 October and Sunday 26 to Thursday 30 October, between 8pm and 6am, weather permitting.

New line marking will also be carried out at night in preparation for the start of major upgrade work. During work, two lanes of traffic will remain open where possible. When necessary, traffic will be reduced to one lane with traffic control in place.

The speed limit will be reduced to 40 km/h from Littlebourne Street to just east of Ashworth Drive.

Motorists should allow extra travel time and follow all signs.

The project is expected to be completed by the end of 2015, weather permitting.

Paul Toole MP 0407 962 357

View the original media release (PDF)

Share this page: