Work to start on $5.36 million Bells Line of Road upgrade at Mount Wilson
Friday 16 January 2014
Member for Blue Mountains Roza Sage has announced road users will soon benefit from a $5.36 million project to improve Bells Line of Road at Mount Wilson, as part of the $48 million NSW Government funded Bells Line of Road corridor improvement program.
The NSW Government will start a three month project from Monday 19 January to improve Bells Line of Road between 5.12 kilometres west of Mount Wilson Road and around 1 kilometre east of Mount Wilson Road.
Mrs Sage said the major project was great news for the community.
“I am proud to deliver this significant investment for our Blue Mountains communities using Bells Line of Road.
“These works are vital for the safety of motorists and residents.
“With this major $48 million Bells Line of Road program and a record $569 million for the Great Western Highway upgrade since 2011, the Baird Government is showing it knows the importance of investing in our Blue Mountains roads.”
Mount Wilson Rural Fire Brigade Training Officer, Graham Tribe, welcomed the works.
“The local RFS responds regularly to motor vehicle accidents along this stretch of Bells Line of Road in the Mount Wilson area,” said Mr Tribe.
“This upgrade work will certainly improve the safety of the road.”
Mrs Sage said work on Bells Line of Road at Mount Wilson will be carried out between 7am and 5pm from Monday 19 January to Thursday 2 April, weather permitting.
“The work aims to improve road safety by providing a stronger, more durable road surface and will include removing the surface, replacing asphalt and line marking,” said Mrs Sage.
“Last year Roads and Maritime completed the first eastbound overtaking lane as part of the Bells Line of Road corridor improvement program from 6.4 to 7.5 kilometres west of Warks Hills Road at Kurrajong Heights.
“Work is now under way to build the second overtaking lane on a 1.1 kilometre section of the road four kilometres west of Kurrajong Heights to improve traffic flow, reduce delays and reduce crashes.
“Work is expected to start in May on the third overtaking lane with consultation to start in coming weeks. “Every effort will be made to minimise noise and other impacts on residents and businesses from this maintenance work.” Partial lane closures will be in place to ensure the safety of road users and workers.
Up to date information, including any date changes and detours will be displayed on electronic message signs along the road.
The NSW Government will continue to consult with the community and stakeholders as work progresses.
For the latest traffic information, visit www.livetraffic.com, download Live Traffic NSW or call 132 701.
MEDIA: Michael Cleggett 0402 420 036
View the original media release (PDF)