Controlled blasting on Princes Highway at Termeil Creek

15 September 2015

Member for South Coast, Shelley Hancock has today advised motorists of changed traffic conditions on the Princes Highway at Termeil Creek tomorrow, as work continues on the $21 million Princes Highway safety upgrade.

Mrs Hancock said that work started in February to straighten 1.6 kilometers of the Princes Highway to improve safety and travel times for motorists.

“I’m delighted to see work progressing on an important project for the people of the South Coast. This was a commitment that I made at the last election and the continuing works demonstrate that I am delivering on my promises,” Mrs Hancock said.

“Controlled blasting will take place from Wednesday to remove hard rock from the side of the hill to progress the upgrade,” Mrs Hancock said.

“The bends north of the bridge are being removed and a new, wider bridge designed to withstand a one in 100 year flood event is being built to improve safety for all road users,” Mrs Hancock said.

A spokesperson for Roads and Maritime Services said that after test blasts were successfully carried out last month, one blast a day may occur from Wednesday 16 September between 2pm and 4pm for about three weeks, weather permitting.

During this blasting, the Princes Highway at Termeil Creek will be closed in both directions for about five minutes and those nearby may hear a loud noise and feel possible ground vibrations.

Every effort will be made to minimise the impact of noise and Roads and Maritime thanks motorists and the community for their patience while work is carried out.

The project is expected to be completed in mid-2016, weather permitting

For the latest traffic information visit, download the Live Traffic App or call the Transport Management Centre on 132 701.

Media: Mark Jones 0408 681 294

View original media release

Share this page: