Have your say on the Golden Highway upgrade
11 November 2015
Michael Johnsen MP, Member for Upper Hunter today announced that the NSW Government is providing $300,000 funding for work to improve pedestrian facilities and safety in Merriwa.
Mr Johnsen said Roads and Maritime Services is seeking the community’s feedback on a proposal to upgrade the pedestrian crossings on the Golden Highway at the intersections of Bow Street and Vennacher Street.
“The proposed upgrade has been developed to address concerns raised by the local community about the safety of the existing pedestrian crossings,” Mr Johnsen said.
“A safety review has been carried out and changes have been identified to improve visibility and safety for pedestrians.
“RMS has provided a map to help better explain the proposed safety upgrade.*
The proposal includes:
- Providing new concrete islands on both sides of the highway to reduce the crossing distance for pedestrians
- Removing the central concrete island at each crossing to reduce confusion for pedestrians and motorists about who has right of way
- New kerbside garden beds will be provided to complement the new crossings
- Upgrading the pedestrian refuge on the Golden Highway to meet current standards
- Removing the large tree on the corner of the Golden Highway and Vennacher Street (near Merriwa Shire Library) to improve sight lines
- Removing one westbound car parking space and one eastbound car parking space so vehicles do not block sight lines when parking or reversing
- Relocating the pedestrian crossing at Bow Street and upgrading lighting at the intersection
- Providing a wide painted median between Bow Street and Vennacher Street.
I would encourage our local community to provide Feedback to RMS, and thereby engage in this decision making process,” Mr Johnsen concluded.
How can you give feedback?
We encourage you to send us your comments by Friday 27 November 2015 to:
Mail: Julian Mehanathan, Roads and Maritime Services, Locked Bag 2030, Newcastle NSW 2300
We will consider your feedback to finalise the proposal and continue to keep you updated as the project progresses.
If you have any questions, please call our Project Manager Julian Mehanathan on 02 4924 0329 or email Julian.Mehanathan@rms.nsw.gov.au.
For more information on our projects, visit rms.nsw.gov.au.
Media: 02 65431065
View the original media release,