Early work starts to improve safety at Durras Drive and Princes Highway intersection

22 June 2016

Member for Bega Andrew Constance has announced early work will start this Friday on a major upgrade to improve motorists’ safety at the Princes Highway and Durras Drive intersection at Benandarah.

Mr Constance said the NSW Government allocated $2 million towards an upgrade at the intersection after the community campaigned for improvements and Roads and Maritime Services carried out a safety investigation last year.

“Durras Drive remains the main access route into South Durras, a coastal village where the population increases significantly in summer,” Mr Constance said.

“As a result of the investigations, safety will be improved particularly for decelerating vehicles entering Durras Drive.

“A left turn deceleration lane will be added, which will provide a clear distinction between southbound through traffic and turning traffic.

“The road shoulders will be widened in both the south and northbound lanes to provide motorists whose vehicles leave the lane with more room to recover, while guardrails will be installed on the side of the road, further improving safety.”

“I would like to acknowledge and thank members of the Durras Community Association for their efforts over the years to get this important project into the limelight, your advocacy on behalf of the Durras community should be recognised.”

Mr Constance said early work starts on Friday 24 June and includes vegetation clearing, power pole relocation and utility adjustments.

Work will be carried out on weekdays between 7am and 6pm and some Saturdays if required between 8am and 1pm.

“This preparation work is expected to be completed in early July 2016, when major work will start,” Mr Constance said.

“Some lane closures will be required for the safety of workers and motorists and every effort will be made to minimise noise associated with the work.

“The final design and work schedule is now being finalised and plans are being developed to ensure Christmas and New Year holiday traffic is not affected if the upgrade can’t be completed by December this year.”

“The community will be notified of any traffic changes before the start of major building work”, Mr Constance said.

Media: Andrew Constance - 0400 943 597

View the original media release.

Share this page: