Another milestone for Foxground and Berry Bypass with traffic diverted to new section of highway
8 August 2016
Member for Kiama Gareth Ward has today inspected traffic now travelling on a new two kilometre section of the Princes Highway as part of the Foxground and Berry bypass project.
Mr Ward said that the New South Wales Government had allocated $580 million to upgrade the Princes Highway for 12.5 kilometres between Toolijooa Road and Andersons Lane.
“In May, we diverted traffic on to two kilometres of new highway between Gembrook Lane and Berry,” he said.
“Now, three months later, another two kilometres of new road is being opened, which is another fantastic achievement for this major project.
“Traffic was diverted early Thursday morning and can now travel on the new northbound lanes, with one lane in each direction between Queen Street and Mullers Lane south of Berry.
“It is a wonderful thing to see cars travelling on a new section of highway,” Mr Ward said.
“Around 20 minor and major traffic changes like this have occurred across the project allowing work to progress on the highway since the first sod was turned in January last year.
“Late last month, we also had the final of 55 controlled blasts to progress the highway, which removed the equivalent of 210 Olympic swimming pools of dirt from Toolijooa ridge.
“All up, 1.5 million cubic metres of material has been moved across the project, while 9.6 kilometres of stormwater drainage has been installed along with all 408 super T girders on the bridges.
“Remarkable progress continues to be made and the big winners will be motorists, who will experience a safer journey with improved travel times,” Mr Ward concluded.
The Foxground and Berry bypass is due to be completed in mid-2018, weather permitting.
MEDIA: Gareth Ward 0401 499 933 or Ben Blackburn 0423 466 358
View the original media release.