Investigation work starts for new Mount Ousley interchange
23 November 2016
Parliamentary Secretary for the Illawarra and South Coast Gareth Ward has today announced that investigation work has started as planning progresses on the proposed interchange at the base of Mount Ousley to improve safety and traffic efficiency.
Mr Ward said that in the past two years the New South Wales Government has allocated $1 million towards the project with a further $1 million allocated in 2016/17 to continue planning.
“A contract was awarded last month for the design and environmental assessment, and investigation work has started this week,” he said.
“The investigations include biodiversity, noise and survey work and will be carried out from Monday 21 November for around two weeks, weather permitting.
“In addition to the start of investigation work, Roads and Maritime Services has released the preferred option consultation summary report.
“This report outlines activities carried out during the display of the preferred option earlier this year and provides a summary of the questions raised by stakeholders and the community.
“To allow the community more time to better understand the proposal, the consultation period was extended by two weeks,” Mr Ward said.
“During the display, Roads and Maritime spoke to more than 80 people at information sessions, received 60 submissions via mail and e-mail, 395 online survey submissions and 21 comments via social media.
“Feedback showed the public understood the need for the proposal and most of the submissions contained suggestions and comments on the features and functionality of the interchange.
“All feedback will be considered as the design for the proposal is developed and refined.”
Mr Ward said that the project will see the existing intersection at the base of Mount Ousley Road replaced with a new interchange which includes an additional access point to the University of Wollongong.
“The project aims to improve safety, freight efficiency, reduce traffic congestion and provide improved pedestrian and cyclist facilities,” he said.
“The preferred option includes a northbound overpass from Mount Ousley Road onto the M1 and separated truck bypass lanes on the M1.
“Cars and trucks would be separated on the M1 at the bottom of Mount Ousley, allowing traffic to exit the motorway without having to merge across slower moving traffic.
“The existing commuter carpark would also be relocated as part of the proposal.
“The preferred option would improve access to the Wollongong CBD, University of Wollongong and surrounding suburbs while also catering for future traffic growth in the region,” Mr Ward concluded.
View the original media release.