Median makeover to reduce mainenance costs on Illawarra Roads
28 May 2018
Parliamentary Secretary for the Illawarra Gareth Ward has today announced that from grass to concrete – eleven medians around Warrawong, Port Kembla, Wollongong and Unanderra are being upgraded.
Mr Ward said that the $620,000 NSW Government funded work will reduce maintenance costs and minimise future disruptions for motorists.
“Ongoing maintenance of grassed medians on major state roads across the Illawarra is costly and results in avoidable lane closures,” he said.
“Where possible, Roads and Maritime Services is committed to reducing the impacts of its projects, which is why this work is being carried out.
“Work to replace grassed medians with concrete will take place from Sunday 27 May to Thursday 28 June, between 8pm and 4am, excluding Fridays and Saturdays and weather permitting.
“It will be a case of short term pain for long term gain, as once work is complete, the medians will require minimal ongoing maintenance work.
Mr Ward said that work is being carried out at night to minimise disruptions to motorists and thanked the community for its patience.
“Traffic changes including temporary lane closures and a reduced 40 km/h speed limit will be in place for the safety of workers and motorists,” Mr Ward said.
The locations and dates where work will be carried out include:
- Springhill Road Rail Bridge: 27th – 29th May
- Springhill Road/ John Cleary Road: 30th – 31st May
- Five Islands Road/ Marley Place: 3rd – 4th June
- Five Islands Road/ M1 Glastonbury: 5th – 7th June
- Five Islands Road/ Flinders Street: 10th – 12th June
- M1 Princes Motorway southbound: 13th June
- M1 Princes Motorway northbound: 14th – 17th June
- Five Islands Road/ King Street: 18th – 21st June
- King Street/ Hoskins Avenue: 24th June
- King Street/ Kemblawarra Street: 25th June
- King Street/ Shellharbour Road: 26th – 28th June.