Raleigh Bridge repaint a step closer

8 June 2018

Work to repaint the heritage-listed Raleigh Bridge will start soon following today’s release of the submissions report for the project’s review of environmental factors (REF).

Member for Oxley, Melinda Pavey MP, said the community was invited to provide feedback on the $3.3 million project, which will involve closing the bridge for up to 12 months.

“The disruptions to normal vehicle movement is understood and acknowledged, however, this important work will ensure the bridge continues to serve the community for decades to come,” Mrs Pavey said.

“The REF was displayed for community feedback in February and March, and I appreciate the time taken by community members to put in a submission or talk to the project team.

“Sixteen submissions were received during the display period. While many of the responses supported the need for the work, some of the key matters raised included: access during the work, safety, impact to businesses and the duration of work.

“Roads and Maritime Services reviewed the feedback and as a result the proposal has been refined to include a temporary walkway on one side of the bridge to allow pedestrians and cyclists to cross the river while work is carried out.

“Also, Roads and Maritime has been working with Busways since last year to ensure school buses will be able to use the bridge at set times in the morning and afternoon. TAFE buses will also be permitted to use the bridge at these set times.”

The project team will also be working with user groups and businesses to facilitate important events. RMS will keep the community informed as the project progresses.

Work is expected to start on the scaffolding and containment system on Monday 18 June, with the closure of the bridge expected to be in place from Monday 25 June.

The submissions report is available on the project website at www.rms.nsw.gov.au/raleighbridge or by contacting the project team.


Share this page: