Joint Media Statement
Friday April 5, 2013
Joint Media Statement - Bega Bypass - High Street bridge opens
The $60million fully Federally-funded Bega Bypass is making good time, with Member for Eden-Monaro Dr Mike Kelly opening the High Street Bridge to traffic today.
At the bridge opening, Dr Kelly said the local community who have championed this bypass can now see the fruits of their labour.
“So far the project is some six months ahead of schedule, which means it may be even sooner than expected that we can enjoy 500 less trucks on Bega’s roads, making Bega safer for families,” Dr Kelly said.
“Roughly 70 years ago this project was first put on the table, and became a line on a map over 30 years ago – thankfully the Federal Labor Government’s Nation Building Program is rectifying decades of inaction by seeing this bypass built.
“The Nation Building Program is investing an unprecedented $11.6billion in this state alone to renew and rebuild road and rail infrastructure.”
NSW Roads Minister Duncan Gay said the project will involve building a new 3.5 kilometre two-lane road to the west of the existing Princes Highway between the existing Bega River Bridge and Finucane Lane.
“This is a great milestone for the local community that will also be followed by a new underpass at Applegum Close as well as two major access points linking the town, the new bypass and the properties to the west,” Mr Gay said.
For Dr Kelly: Derek Schwarz 0447 694 201
For Mr Gay: Marie Scoutas 0467 739 976