Preferred option for Grafton bridge announced

Tuesday 23 April 2013

Preferred option for Grafton bridge announced

Roads Minister Duncan Gay today announced option C as the preferred option for the additional crossing of the Clarence River at Grafton.
Mr Gay made the announcement while touring the region with the Member for Clarence Chris Gulaptis.

“This is good news for the community and follows a thorough and collaborative study on the best option for a second crossing,” Mr Gay said.

“This major milestone is critical for the project as a second crossing is extremely important to the future of Grafton.

“I want to thank the community for their participation, feedback and patience during the route selection process.

"The NSW Government is spending $3 million this financial year to continue planning for this second crossing.

“The timing of construction is now dependant on funding but the NSW Government has made a submission to Infrastructure Australia for a Federal funding contribution of up to 50 per cent of the project cost, under the Nation Building Program 2014-2019,” Mr Gay said.

Mr Gulaptis said the preferred option crosses the river immediately downstream of the existing Grafton Bridge and connects the junction of the Pacific and Gwydir highways at South Grafton with Pound Street at Grafton.

“Option C was identified last year as the recommended preferred option and placed on public display for community feedback,” Mr Gulaptis said.

“The decision to make this route the preferred option was because it best met the project objectives and long term traffic network needs for the Grafton region out of all options considered.

“In addition, recent public feedback received in response to the display of the recommended preferred option did not raise any significant new issues which would alter this decision.

“The next steps for the project are to further refine the concept design and prepare the environmental assessment for community comment.

“Now the major exercise to select the preferred option is complete, the government is committed to progressing planning for this project so it is ‘shovel ready’ as soon as possible,” Mr Gulaptis said.

Media: Lance Northey and Marie Scoutas 9228 5271

View the original media release:

Preferred option for Grafton bridge announced

Share this page: