F3-M2 Unsolicited proposal moves to stage 3

Thursday 30 May 2013

F3-M2 Unsolicited proposal moves to stage 3

NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell and Minister for Roads Duncan Gay today announced the proposed motorway linking the F3 with the M2 had progressed to Stage 3 under the NSW Government’s unsolicited proposals assessment process.

The NSW Government received the unsolicited proposal from private motorway operator Transurban and the Westlink M7 shareholders last year, to construct the 8 kilometre link along the Pennant Hills Road corridor.

A cross-agency committee has been working closely with Transurban and the Westlink M7 shareholders to develop and assess the proposal. The committee includes representatives of the Department of Premier and Cabinet, NSW Treasury, Transport for NSW, Infrastructure NSW and Roads and Maritime Services.

Cabinet Infrastructure Committee has approved the progression of the unsolicited proposal from Stage 2 to Stage 3 under the assessment process, with a view to entering a binding agreement next year with the proponents to deliver the project, as long as it represents value for the public.

“This is an important missing link in Sydney’s motorway network – it has the potential to cut 15 minutes from travel times in each direction and remove thousands of trucks from Pennant Hills Road,” Mr O’Farrell said.

Mr Gay said the proposed link would be jointly-funded by Transurban and the Westlink M7 shareholders, the NSW Government and Federal Government and include tolls. It’s expected the link would cost up to $2.65 billion.

“The F3-M2 link would provide a continuous motorway between Western and South Western Sydney and the Central Coast and Hunter,” Mr Gay said.

“We have been working closely with the private sector to progress this new motorway project, to reduce congestion on Sydney’s roads and provide better and more efficient movement of freight across the State.”

Stage 3 will include:

  • RMS/Transport for NSW working with the proponents to commence community consultation, with exhibition of an environmental impact statement
    and lodgement of an application for environmental and planning approval.
  • The proponents working with a Government team to undertake a competitive tender to select a design and construction contractor.

The NSW Government will seek to negotiate a final binding offer with the proponents before making a final decision on whether to accept the proposal.

Unsolicited Proposals Process

Stage 1 – Initial submission and strategic assessment: a comprehensive initial assessment of the proposal to identify the potential benefit to government of further consideration and development with the proponent. The outcome is advice to the proponent of progression to Stage 2, or that the government does not wish to proceed.

Stage 2 – Detailed proposal: requires the proponent and government to work cooperatively in the development and assessment of a detailed proposal. The outcome is advice to the proponent of progression to Stage 3, or that the government does not wish to proceed.

Stage 3 – Negotiation of final binding offer: involves the finalisation of all outstanding issues with a view to entering into a binding agreement, if the government decides to accept the final offer.

Full details can be found at: http://www.nsw.gov.au/unsolicitedproposals

MEDIA: Cameron Hamilton or Mark Tobin (Premier) 9228 5239 or Lance Northey (Minister) 0467 743 192

View the original media release:
F3-M2 Unsolicited proposal moves to stage 3

Share this page: