Discussions with industry underway for F3-M2

Monday 24 June 2013

Discussions with industry underway for F3-M2 proposal 

More than 30 infrastructure and construction experts have attended an industry briefing with the NSW Government and Transurban on the proposal to build the F3-M2 link.
Minister for Roads and Ports Duncan Gay said discussions had started with the construction industry around the proposal for the eight kilometre F3-M2 link.

“The NSW Government received the unsolicited proposal from private motorway operator Transurban and the Westlink M7 shareholders last year to build the link along the Pennant Hills Road corridor,” Mr Gay said.

“Transurban will commence an Expressions of Interest process with interested bidders in July with a view to short listing prospective tenderers by August this year,” Mr Gay said.

The NSW Government and Transurban hope to have a conditional preferred tenderer selected by early 2014.

“This is a challenging schedule but we believe that through cooperation with the industry and Transurban, it is achievable,” Mr Gay said.

“We look forward to working with the industry to securing competitive bids for the project so we can make it a reality,” he said.

It’s expected the link would cost up to $2.65 billion.

“Discussions are now underway with industry on this important missing link in Sydney’s motorway network which has the potential to cut 15 minutes from travel times in each direction and remove thousands of trucks from Pennant Hills Road.

“A cross-agency committee of representatives from the Department of Premier and Cabinet, NSW Treasury, Transport for NSW, Infrastructure NSW and Roads and Maritime Services has been working closely with Transurban and the Westlink M7 shareholders to develop and assess the proposal.

The NSW and Australian Governments last week signed a Memorandum of Understanding on potential funding the link.

“The proposed link will be jointly-funded by Transurban and the Westlink M7 shareholders, the NSW Government and Federal Government and include tolls.

“The F3-M2 link would provide a continuous motorway between Western and South Western Sydney and the Central Coast and Hunter.

“The NSW Government will seek to negotiate a final binding offer with the proponents before making a final decision on whether to accept the proposal,” Mr Gay said.

Media: Lance Northey 0467 743 192 or Marie Scoutas 0467 739 976

View the original media release (PDF):
Discussions with industry underway for F3-M2 proposal 

Share this page: