Major span installed on new Heathcote pedestrian bridge

1 September 2014

Minister for Roads and Freight Duncan Gay and Member for Heathcote Lee Evans were at the Heathcote pedestrian bridgelast night to observe the installation of the main span.

It is part of the $5.5 million NSW Government-funded project, which will open early next year.

“We started work in March to build the new pedestrian bridge which aims to offer a safer crossing between Heathcote railway station, the shops, schools and residences,” Minister Gay said.

“The bridge, on track to open by the start of the 2015 school year, also aims to reduce congestion by offering an off road crossing for pedestrians with a lift and stairs at each end of the bridge for easy access.

“Changed traffic conditions were in place on Sunday 31 August for work to install the main span of the bridge which had been built off site and is pretty impressive.

Mr Evans said: “To ensure safety, the Princes Highway was closed last night from Garvan Road to Veno Street between 10pm and 5am while the span was lifted into place.

”With the new span now installed, work will continue to build the structure on weekdays from 7am to 6pm and on Saturdays from 7am to 1pm. Some weekend and night work may be carried out to minimise delays for motorists.”

“Up to date information, including detours and any date changes will be displayed on electronic message signs along the road.”

Roads and Maritime Services will make every effort to minimise noise from the work.

MEDIA:

  • Siobhan McCarthy 0407 791 802 (Minister Gay)
  • 02 9548 0144 (Mr Evans)

View the original media release (PDF)

Share this page: