Tenders called for Newcastle Inner City Bypass
Friday, 10 October 2014
Minister for Roads and Freight Duncan Gay announced tenders had been called for concept design and environmental impact assessment for the Newcastle Inner City Bypass from Rankkin Park to Jesmond.
Mr Gay said it was an important milestone in the delivery of this project.
“Under this NSW Government the completion of the Newcastle Inner City Bypass project is a reality and the call for tenders to develop the concept design is a huge milestone,” Minister Gay said.
“After the EIS is displayed and community feedback is sought we could see planning approval as early as next year.
“This process means construction is on track to begin in 2017.
“We are investing $280 million towards the fifth and final stage of the bypass between Rankin Park and Jesmond to improve traffic flow on the surrounding road network, including on Lookout Road, Croudace Street and Newcastle Road.
“This government is determined to transform the Hunter, which is why we are getting on with the job of delivering infrastructure right across the region.
“The NSW Government invested more than $392 million last financial year on roads in the Hunter to improve capacity and connectivity in this growing region.
The Rankin Park to Jesmond section of the Newcastle Inner City Bypass will be 3.4 kilometres of four-lane divided road and will include:
- A grade-separated interchange at the northern connection with the existing Newcastle Road to Shortland section of the bypass
- Potential for a connection to the rear of John Hunter Hospital
- Bridge structures along the route to provide drainage, fauna movements and bushwalker access
- A grade-separated interchange with Lookout Road and McCaffrey Drive at the southern connection.
MEDIA: Siobhan McCarthy 0407 791 802
View the original media release (PDF)