$6 million project to upgrade O'Connell Road near Oberon completed
Monday, 15 August 2016
Motorists are now benefitting from a $6 million upgrade of O’Connell Road, 3.8kms north of Oberon, which was officially opened today.
Minister for Roads Duncan Gay joined Member for Bathurst Paul Toole to open the upgraded section of road - previously notoriously dangerous.
Mr Gay said the NSW Government funded the project under the NSW Black Spot Program – which improves the safety of roads right across the state.
“We know that simple upgrades to roads, like O’Connell Road near Oberon, go a long way reducing the likelihood of crashes, Mr Gay said.
“We have improved the curve to reduce the likelihood of vehicles leaving the road and providing a new, wider surface – and changes like this go a long way to making the state’s roads much safer.”
Mr Toole said these upgrades were important for the more near 2000 vehicles that use this road each day.
“The ongoing improvement to regional roads reflects a positive impact on both social and economic benefits. The upgrade of this road means greater safety standards for business, industry and commuters including travellers who use this carriageway,” Mr Toole said.
”Once again the NSW Government has addressed the need for improvements to black spot areas.”
Work on the project started in mid-November last year and was completed on time, despite recent heavy rain.
MEDIA: Natalie Heazlewood | 0419 173 927
View the original media release.