Sydney Harbour Bridge toll booth removal
Tuesday, 13 December 2016
After much anticipation, work will start this Sunday to remove the toll booths from the southern end of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, one of the most popular roads in the country.
Minister for Roads Duncan Gay said with more than 160,000 motorists using the bridge every day, it is vital to ensure the critical road corridor remains functional and modern.
“While the bridge has stood the test of time, we have made leaps and bounds in tolling technology and the time has come for a much needed upgrade,” Mr Gay said.
Earlier this year four new tolling gantries were installed on the northern approach to the bridge and extensive tag testing has been carried out.
Mr Gay said with this new technology operational from Sunday 18 December, work can finally start to remove the toll booths at the southern end of the bridge.
“During the Summer holidays when traffic is traditionally lower the most Western toll booth will be removed - both toll booths in the Southern toll plaza will be removed by early 2018.”
To further improve traffic flow efficiency, plans to remove the old toll plaza on the northern end of the Sydney Harbour Bridge will start mid next year.
“When both toll plaza upgrades are complete by the end of 2018, motorists will benefit from simplified traffic movements into the city and onto the Western Distributor,” Mr Gay said.
“Removing the booths at either end of the bridge will also enable continuation of the bus lane from the bridge to York Street and provide space for bus readiness bays for buses approaching York Street in the PM peak.”
This work complements other projects aimed at improving access to the bridge including new pedestrian lifts to be installed on the eastern walkway and upgrades to the cycleway.
For more information visit www.rms.nsw.gov.au.
View the original media release.