New home for ANZAC Obelisk at Moore Park

Thursday, 19 January 2017

A sod of earth was turned today to signify the reinstatement of the historic ANZAC Obelisk on Anzac Parade at Moore Park.

Minister for Veterans Affairs David Elliott said the ANZAC Obelisk was installed in 1917 as one of the earliest war memorials in NSW dedicated to the role of the ANZACs during the Great War and those who served on the Home Front.

“For nearly a century the Obelisk has served as a reminder of the suffering and in too many cases the ultimate sacrifice during the Great War and had become a local landmark for road users,” Mr Elliott said. “The Obelisk was originally located at the head of Anzac Parade at the intersection with Moore Park Road.

“The Obelisk was relocated to the median of Anzac Parade during construction of the Eastern Distributor then identified for relocation during planning for light rail. The Obelisk was dismantled for conservation and restoration in 2014 when work started on the Albert ‘Tibby’ Cotter Walkway.”

After extensive consultation with stakeholders including the Returned and Services League of Australia (NSW Branch), the NSW Heritage Division approved the location, on the outskirts of Moore Park at the northern end.

The location was chosen as it provides a suitable visual setting for the Obelisk, improves public and pedestrian access to the war memorial and is within the State Heritage Listed Moore Park precinct.

Mr Elliott said once heritage approval had been received, work to reinstate the Obelisk started on Monday 9 January 2017.

“The work involves building a new footing for the Obelisk, installing paving, bollards and lighting as well as lanterns which were built as replicas of the original gas powered lanterns,” he said.

“A CCTV camera will be located nearby to improve security in the park and at the war memorial.”

View the original media release.

Share this page: