Budget boost for Northern NSW
20 June 2017
A brand new hospital in Tweed, hospital upgrades in Coffs Harbour, Lismore and Inverell, and major investments in local roads and infrastructure – including a share in the $1.5 billion Pacific Highway upgrade program – are among the highlights for Northern NSW in the 2017-18 Budget.
Key highlights from the 2017-18 Budget include:
- $84 million in 2017-18 to continue construction of the $240 million new bridge across the Clarence River at Grafton
- A share of $1.5 billion to continue the Pacific Highway upgrade program projects between Port Macquarie and Glenugie, near Grafton, continued construction between Glenugie and Ballina and planning for the future bypass of Coffs Harbour
- $534 million for the Tweed Hospital and Integrated Ambulatory Services Redevelopment to deliver a new hospital on a greenfield site
- $156 million for the Coffs Harbour Hospital Expansion
- $52.5 million for the Lismore Hospital Redevelopment
- $30 million for the Inverell Hospital Redevelopment
- $26 million in 2017-18 to continue the Macksville Hospital Redevelopment at an estimated total cost of $50 million, and a further $23 million towards the balance of the greenfield option
- $94.5 million in 2017-18 of a $177.5 million project to deliver an additional 400 beds at the Mid-North Coast Correctional Centre (Kempsey)
- $5.1 million for park experiences, including management and maintenance of campgrounds and visitor facilities such as roads, walking tracks and visitor accommodation
- $1.3 million in 2017-18 to complete redevelopment of Tweed Heads Police Station.
Quotes attributable to Member for Lismore Thomas George: “This budget really delivers for our local community – Lismore Hospital Redevelopment has been secured as a part of this budget, meaning world class health infrastructure for our families.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Tweed Geoff Provest: “As a part of this budget the Liberals & Nationals will put money towards a brand new hospital for the Tweed, delivering more investment for our local communities in the Tweed region.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Port Macquarie Leslie Williams: “This budget secures a multi-million dollar investment in mental health for our local community, yet another example of the NSW Liberal & Nationals Government investing where it is needed most.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Myall Lakes Stephen Bromhead: “This budget means an upgrade for our local police station at Taree, continued funding for the Manning Hospital redevelopment and planning money for the refurbishment of Martin Bridge. This is a Government delivering for my community.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Northern Tablelands Adam Marshall: “This Budget will see even more investment into health infrastructure in my community, with funding for the Inverell Hospital Redevelopment locked in. We will also see investment into our education system, with a brand new high school at Armidale as part of this Budget.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Tamworth Kevin Anderson: “The NSW Liberals & Nationals are continuing to deliver for our regions, with funding in this budget to continue the Gunnedah Hospital Redevelopment and more investment in our local roads.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Oxley Melinda Pavey: “This budget delivers for the people of Oxley, with ongoing funding for Macksville Hospital and planning money for the second Kempsey Bridge secured.”
View original media release.