NSW Boaters warned of dangerous conditions for mid NSW Coast
22 May 2013
Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) has issued an alert after a Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) warning about dangerous surf conditions from Seal Rocks to Coffs Harbour from Friday.
Skippers and owners of small craft should be on high alert and check the conditions before considering crossing a coastal bar or heading offshore.
Rock fishers should also check weather forecasts before heading out to decide whether it is safe to fish near dangerous surf.
Strong winds can also cause dangerous conditions for vessels on moorings which have been poorly maintained.
Every skipper is responsible for the safety of their vessel and all on board. RMS advises skippers to:
- Check the official weather forecast before and during boating
- Ensure the boat and its equipment is suitable for the conditions
- Log on/off with a Marine Rescue NSW marine radio base for every trip offshore
- Wear a lifejacket.
For more information:
- Offshore boating safety
- Live vision of bar crossings
- Official forecast
- BoM maritime-specific advice
- Boating safety images
CONTACT: Roads and Maritime Services Media Unit: 8588 5999