Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) is dedicated to providing services which satisfy the needs of our customers.
Consultation with you and other customers will help us determine:
- What services you need
- How these services are best delivered
- How to improve the services we provide.
By doing this, Roads and Maritime Services seeks to serve you better.
The service you can expect:
Licensing and registration
- Management of extensive road safety programs
- 90 per cent of customers continue to rate motor registry services as "good" or "very good"
- Improved availability of information and access to forms online
- Expansion of on-line/internet and telephone services to include:
- Renewal of registration,
- Access for motor dealers
- Timely processing of registration renewals received by mail
- Publication of major changes to road rules
- Secure processes for the security of proof of identity procedures for licence holders
- Continual upgrade of measures to reduce the occurrence of vehicle fraud and theft
- Leading the national reform of driver licence and vehicle registration laws
- Responsive telephone services, with operators trained to meet customer’s needs
- Ensure compliance with standards for the safe operation of heavy vehicles
The road system
On roads which we directly maintain:
- Roads and Maritime Services staff will attend critical traffic signal faults in major metropolitan areas within two hours of the faults being reported
- Local residents will be given at least 72 hours notice of all planned major maintenance work where noise will be a problem
- Care will be taken to minimise the risk of injury to road users or damage to property as a result of construction or maintenance work on roads or bridges
- Road maintenance and construction will be planned to minimise:
- Delays or detours
- Interference with traffic at peak times, such as peak times and holiday periods or during special events
- Interference with public transport
- Care will be taken to alert customers to altered traffic conditions and works which may be hazardous
- Care will be taken to minimise the impact of construction or maintenance work on the environment.
- Graffiti will be removed from Roads and Maritime Services bridge abutments, piers, noise walls and buildings within the following time frames:
- Offensive graffiti - within 48 hours
- Non offensive graffiti - within one month