All drivers of public passenger bus, motorcycle and 4-wheel drive tour vehicles must be authorised under the Passenger Transport Act 1990.
Before you apply
Before you can apply for a public passenger driver authority, you must make sure you can fulfil the requirements.
You need to:
- Hold the appropriate class of NSW driver licence for the specified size and weight of vehicle you intend to drive. See driver licence classes for more information
- Read and understand the conditions and procedures as outlined in the:
- Application Information
- Application from for an Authority to Drive Bus or Tourist Vehicle (Motorcycle or 4WD)
- Bus Driver Authority Conditions
- Have a medical practitioner complete a Medical Assessment Public Passenger Vehicle Driver Form. If a further medical referral is required, have a medical specialist complete a Medical Specialist Assessment Report Form.
You also need to be able to satisfy Roads and Maritime Services that you are of good repute, and in all other respects a fit and proper person to be the driver of a public passenger vehicle. You also need to be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient responsibility and aptitude to drive a public passenger vehicle in accordance with law and custom
In order to receive your bus driver authority you must provide Roads and Maritime with evidence that you have undergone a training course provided by a trainer authorised by BusNSW.
Details of these trainers can be obtained by contacting BusNSW on (02) 8839 9500.
When you successfully complete this course, you will be provided with an Evidence of Training Certificate, which you can then use to support your application, either with your initial application, or after you have received advice from Roads and Maritime that your application has been approved.
Submitting your application
When you’re ready to apply for your public passenger driver authority, you need to lodge the following items, either in person or by mail:
- A completed and signed Application for an Authority to Drive Bus or Tourist Vehicle (Motorcycle or 4WD)
- A completed Medical Assessment Public Passenger Vehicle Driver form
- If required, a completed Medical Specialist Assessment Report form
- A photocopy of your NSW driver licence
- Payment for the application fee:
- If you are mailing your application, please complete the credit card authorisation on the application form, or provide a cheque or money order made payable to Roads and Maritime. Please do not send cash in the mail
- Two recent colour photographs (65mm x 65mm) that comply with the requirements on the application form
- Evidence that you have completed training (Bus Authority only). This may be provided with your initial application or after you have been advised that your application has been approved
- Birth certificate, passport or citizenship certificate.
You may also wish to bring your own National Criminal History Record Check. An original National Criminal History Record Check is available through the NSW Police Force. You may also apply for a Criminal History Check through an accredited Crimtrac provider. The Criminal History check must have been conducted within three months from the date the driver authority application is submitted.
How applications are processed
Once we receive all of your documents (other than the Evidence of Training Certificate for bus drivers), Roads and Maritime will review your driving history and criminal history. You may also be asked to provide details of any driving history in other Australian States or Territories.
This information, as well as the information on your application form and health assessment form, will be used to assess whether you meet the appropriate requirements for the authority you have applied for.
How long does the assessment process take?
Approved applicants for a motor cycle or 4-wheel drive tour authority will usually receive their authority with four to six weeks of receipt of the application by Roads and Maritime.
Approved bus applicants who provide an Evidence of Training Certificate with their initial application will usually receive their driver authority within four to six weeks of receipt of the application.
Applicants for a bus authority who do not provide an Evidence of Training Certificate will usually receive a letter within four to six weeks of receipt of the application advising of the outcome of the assessment.
Approved applicants for a bus authority will then be required to provide Roads and Maritime with an Evidence of Training Certificate. Once this is received, applicants will usually receive a driver authority within two weeks.
Important: Any approvals granted in relation to an application expire six months from the date of receipt of your application. Evidence of completion of driver training must be provided within this time. If this information is not received, a fresh application must be submitted and a new application fee will be charged.
Note: In periods of peak demand or where additional enquiries are made regarding criminal, medical or driving history, the authorisation process may take an additional further two weeks.
What if my application is unsuccessful?
You will be notified by mail if your application is unsuccessful.
For more information, please contact Roads and Maritime’s Enrolment Processing Unit, Monday-Friday 8.30am-4.30pm:
- Phone: 1800 227 774 (toll free) or (02) 9689 8888
- Office: Level 4, 16-18 Wentworth St Parramatta
- Mail: Locked Bag 5085 Parramatta NSW 2124
- Fax: (02) 9689 8813