Roads and Maritime Services provides services and information for drivers and operators of buses and coaches. We also conduct a number of transport related licensing and accreditation activities, and administer driver authorisation for a range of vehicles.

Updates and announcements

Safety Management System (SMS) Handbook updated

This handbook is a guide for bus and coach operators. All bus and coach operators in NSW need to have in place an SMS as a condition of their accreditation.
Read the SMS Handbook (PDF, 1.23Mb) for further information.


All drivers of public passenger bus, motorcycle and 4-wheel drive tour vehicles must be authorised under the Passenger Transport Act 1990.

Becoming a bus driver

Find out more about becoming authorised as a bus driver.


Roads and Maritime is responsible for regulating buses and coaches in NSW.

More information for bus operators.

Bus passengers

Visit the Transport Info website for public transport information, including:

You can also call Transport Info on 131500.

Share this page: