Coastal bar crossing approval

Masters of Class 1 and Class 2 vessels carrying passengers require an endorsement to cross a coastal bar. Coastal bars are listed in Schedule 6 of the NSW Marine Safety (General) Regulation 2009.

To apply for an endorsement to cross a coastal bar you will need to provide evidence that you have completed at least 10 crossings both inwards and outwards of the port for which the endorsement is sought. For any subsequent endorsement, evidence of only five crossings is required. These crossings are to be completed either under the supervision of a person with an endorsement for the port concerned or as master of a vessel with no passengers.

You can do this by completing a Statutory Declaration - Bar Endorsement (PDF)

To submit your application, you'll need to provide:

  • An application for bar approval (PDF)
  • Proof of your identity
  • Evidence of holding a valid Certificate of Competency
  • Evidence that you have completed the required number of crossings
  • Payment for the required fee.

You can lodge your application:

  • By posting all required documents to:
    Marine Certification
    Locked Bag 5100 Camperdown NSW 1450
  • In person at any registry or service centre.

Your certificate will be sent to you by registered mail.

Conditions applying to bar crossings

  • Crossings must not be made if the maximum wind speed is in excess of 20 knots or the swell height is greater than two metres
  • Masters must ensure that all passengers are in an open area of the vessel and wear an approved life jacket when crossing a bar.

Fishing vessels and recreational vessels

Masters of fishing vessels do not require a bar endorsement to cross a coastal bar and the conditions described above do not apply.

The Boating Handbook provides information for recreational vessels crossing bars.

Certificate of Competency issued in another State or Territory

If you hold a Certificate of Competency issued outside NSW, its conditions may not include the bar endorsement that you require. In that case you need to apply for a bar endorsement, and bar approval fees apply.

Bar crossing - Application for bar approval

Statutory Declaration - Bar Endorsement

Share this page: