Certificate of Operation

A Certificate of Operation is required for domestic commercial vessels that operate in Australia. A Certificate of Operation can be issued by Roads and Maritime Services on behalf of the National Regulator.

A Domestic Commercial Vessel (DCV) is not required to have a Registration Label, Survey Record Book or Permit Plate under the National System.

How do I know if my vessel is required to have Certificate of Operation?

To find out if your vessel requires a Certificate of Operation, please refer to the Quick Guide to Operations on the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) website.


Vessels not required to be in survey must meet the safety standard National Standard for Commercial Vessels (NSCV) Part G.

Certificates issued under the previous system

Certificates of Operation issued by Roads and Maritime before the introduction of the National System remain valid until their expiry date. When you renew, you'll be issued with a National System Certificate of Operation.

Applying for a Certificate of Operations

To apply for a Certificate of Operation, you'll need to provide:

You can submit your application by sending all required documents by:

More information

If you have any questions please contact the Commercial Vessels Survey and Certification Team by phoning (02) 9563 8400.

Share this page: