Survey vessels - Certificates of Survey and Operation
Vessels required to be in survey must have a Certificate of Survey and Operation to operate as a commercial vessel in Australia.
How do I know if my vessel is required to be in survey?
If your vessel is required to be in survey, a Certificate of Survey and Operation can be issued by Roads and Maritime Services on behalf of the National Regulator.
To find out if your vessel is required to be in survey, please refer to the Quick Guide to Vessels on the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) website.
Certificates issued under the previous system
Certificates of Survey issued by Roads and Maritime before the introduction of the National System remain valid until their expiry date. When you renew, you'll be issued with a National System Certificate of Survey and Operation.
Applying for a Certificate of Survey and Operation
To apply for a Certificate of Survey and Operation, you'll need to provide:
- A completed Application for Certificate of Survey form (AMSA 521) (Word) and/or a completed Application for a Certificate of Operation form (AMSA 504) (Word)
- Payment for the required fee
- A certified copy of your proof of identity
- The Bill of Sale for the vessel
- A copy of an Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) Extract (if applicable).
You can submit your application by sending all required documents by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post: Locked Bag 5100 Camperdown NSW 1450
If you have any questions please contact the Commercial Vessels Survey and Certification Team by phoning (02) 9563 8400.