Driving instructors

Any person who teaches another person to drive for money or reward is required by law to hold a Driving Instructor’s licence. This page provides information for existing Driving Instructors, or anyone interested in becoming a licensed Driving Instructor.

Working With Children Check requirements

From 1 April 2017, Driving Instructors and Driving Schools are recognised as ‘Education Services – Private tuition and coaching’ under the Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012 No 51 and Child Protection (Working with Children) Regulation 2013 and required to comply by obtaining a Working With Children Check (WWCC).

Driving instructors licensed to instruct class C (car) and R (rider) must have a WWCC. Heavy vehicle driving instructors with their licence endorsed with the condition "May not instruct for class C licences" - may not need a WWCC.

Please visit the Office of the Children’s Guardian website www.kidsguardian.nsw.gov.au for more information.

Applying for a Driving Instructor’s licence

You can only apply for a Driving Instructor’s licence if:

  • You’re at least 21 years old
  • You’ve held a full driver licence (not learner, provisional, probationary or restricted) of the relevant class for at least three years during the four-year period immediately prior to your application for an instructor’s licence
  • You’ve been authorised by Roads and Maritime Services to undertake an approved course in driving instruction, and have passed.

Application process

In order to safeguard the professionalism and standards of driving instruction, a strict application process must be followed.

Generally, most new driving instructors will take at least six months to complete the required qualifications.

The process looks like this:

  1. Documents and checks
  2. Tests (theory and practical)
  3. Letter of eligibility
  4. Driving Instructor training course
  5. Regulator Final Assessment

1. Documents and checks

You’ll need to provide:

  • A completed Driving Instructor application form
  • A completed medical check stating that you’re fit to drive (pages 4 and 5 of the application form)
  • Pass police and criminal checks
  • Provide a Working With Children Check number and expiry date
  • Two specimen signatures
  • Four colour passport-sized photos.

2. Tests

You’ll need to:

  • Pass an extended knowledge test on road rules (90 questions)
  • Driving Instructor applicants: Pass a driving test with a 95% pass rate. You must pass the driving test before you’re issued a letter of eligibility. If you undertake the test in an automatic vehicle, your Driving Instructor licence will have a condition allowing you to teach in an automatic vehicle only
  • Riding Instructor applicants: Pass a Motorcycle Operator Skills Test (MOST) with a 100% result.

You’re required to supply the vehicle for all driving/riding tests and assessments.

3. Letter of eligibility

When all documents are provided checks completed and you’ve satisfactorily passed the required tests, Roads and Maritime will issue you with a letter of eligibility. You cannot enroll into an instructor training course unless you hold a current letter of eligibility.

4. Instructor training course

The instructor training standards are nationally agreed and included in the Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF):

  • Cars: Driving instructors must pass the Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics (Road Transport - Car Driving Instruction) TLI41210
  • Heavy vehicles: Driving instructors must pass the Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics (Road Transport - Heavy Vehicle Driving Instruction) TLI41310
  • Motorcycles: Riding instructors must pass the Roads and Maritime pre-learner rider training course as a student before commencing the instructor training with an approved course provider.

5. Regulator Final Assessment

After you’ve successfully completed the instructor training course, you’ll have to pass a final assessment in the type of vehicle you wish to teach.

You’re required to supply the vehicle for all driving tests and assessments.

Motorcycle instructors are not required to undertake a Regulator Final Assessment, however you must be accredited by Roads and Maritime before you can instruct in the NSW Rider Training Scheme.

During the assessment, you’ll be required to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and driving behaviours expected of a professional Driving Instructor. The test includes:

  • Presenting lessons
  • Demonstrating safe driving
  • A commentary drive
  • Various manoeuvres.

After you’ve passed the Regulator Final Assessment and paid the licence fee, you’ll be issued with a Driving Instructor Licence, valid for five years.

Heavy vehicle, older driver, safer driver and motorcycle training/assessing schemes or courses

The Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment (HVCBA), Older Driver Assessor, Safer Driver and Motorcycle Rider Training/Assessing schemes and courses operate under organisational contracts/agreements with Roads and Maritime.

Instructors wanting to work in these schemes or courses must be employed by an organisation with a Roads and Maritime contract/agreement.

Instructors in these schemes or courses are required to undertake further training and assessments, in addition to the requirements listed above. Information on these requirements can be obtained from Roads and Maritime by emailing:

Applicants for the HVCBA or older driver assessor courses must hold prior to enrolment onto the course, the relevant instructor licence and certificates for either:

  • TAEASS401 Plan assessment activities and processes, and TAEASS402 Assess competence
  • TAAASS401 Plan and organise assessment and TAAASS402 Assess competence, or an approved equivalent.

Note: As of 1 January 2012, all new HVCBA providers must be Registered Training Organisations.

Application fees

Fees are payable to Roads and Maritime for:

  • Driver knowledge test
  • Driving test / Motorcycle Operator Skills Test (MOST)
  • Pre-learner rider training course (motorcycle instructors only)
  • Working With Children Check (collected on behalf of Office of the Children’s Guardian)
  • Issue of a five-year Driving Instructor’s licence.

Fees for the instructor training course, including the Final Assessment, are determined by the course providers and paid directly to them.

Other fees, such as those payable to medical practitioners for the Fitness to Drive Medical Assessment, are your responsibility

Approved course providers

The following organisations are Roads and Maritime approved providers of driving instructor training for Car, Heavy Vehicle and Motorcycle instructors.

Qualifications issued by non-approved course providers are not recognised, as the courses may not have been conducted to the standard required by Roads and Maritime.

Car instructors NSW

  • 121 Driver Training, 0407 938 398
  • ACT (Australian Construction and Transport) Training, 1300 561 223
  • DARE (Driver and Rider Education), 1800 111 424
  • Further Education Training and Assessment, 0412 772 203
  • PVET Institute, (02) 9418 8953
  • RLI Training P/L, 1300 938 506
  • Trent Education, (02) 8748 4555

Heavy Vehicle instructors

  • ACT (Australian Construction and Transport) Training, 1300 561 223
  • Applied Training Solutions, (02) 8787 5870
  • DARE (Driver and Rider Education), 1800 111 424
  • Further Education Training and Assessment, 0412 772 203
  • Lewelmo, T/A United Transport Solutions, 0412 411 404
  • RLI Training P/L, 1300 938 506

Motorcycle instructors

  • HART (Honda Australia Roadcraft Training), (02) 9144 5725
  • Stay Upright Motorcycle Techniques, (02) 8824 9980
  • Ride it Right Motorcycling Techniques, (02) 4962 3717
  • Wheel-Skills, (02) 6687 9222

Interstate training providers

Roads and Maritime will only recognise TLI41210 Certificates issued by interstate Recognised Training Organisations (RTOs) with current service provider deeds with the driver licensing regulator in that state:

    Interstate instructors

    Under the Mutual Recognition Act, driving instructors moving to NSW who hold a driving instructor licence in another state can apply for a NSW instructor licence without the need for additional training. Applicants must provide the following:

    At the time of lodging the NSW driving instructor application a 'Driving Instructor - Police questionnaire' will be sent directly to the local area command by the Manager.  The applicant will be notified of the requirement to visit a specified Police Station for completion of this questionnaire.

    Restricted Driving Instructor’s licence

    A Restricted Driving Instructor’s licence is available for providers of post-licence instruction. The restricted licence is issued with the condition Restricted licence, the licensee is not permitted to instruct people who hold a learner driver licence clearly displayed on the front of the licence.

    To apply for a Restricted Driving Instructor’s licence, you’ll need to:

    • Meet all existing eligibility requirements of the Driving Instructor Act and Regulations (such as minimum age and licence tenure)
    • Complete all existing application requirements (such as the Driving Instructor DKT, a Fitness to Drive Medical Assessment, Working With Children Check and Police checks)
    • Be issued with a letter of eligibility, in accordance with all existing requirements
    • Obtain one of the following qualifications: TAE10 or Diploma in Education or equivalent higher qualification (as approved by Roads and Maritime)
    • Pass a Roads and Maritime assessment on the Driving Instructor Act and Regulation

    Restricted licences are only available for car and motorcycle driving instructor licences. They’re not available for any heavy vehicle driving instructor licences.

    Applicants for restricted licences are exempt from:

    • TLI41210 Certificate IV in Driving Instruction.

    Instructor behaviour

    Roads and Maritime is committed to protecting the rights and wellbeing of the community. Immediate action will be taken against any instructor who is believed to be behaving in a corrupt or inappropriate manner. Under the Driving Instructors Act 1992 and its Regulation, any instructor found guilty of corrupt or inappropriate behaviour may be liable to fines, suspension, loss of licence or prosecution.

    Complaints and concerns

    If you have a complaint or concern about a driving instructor, call Roads and Maritime on 13 22 13.

    Share this page: