Heavy vehicles

Under the Heavy Vehicle National Law (NSW) (the HVNL) a heavy vehicle is a vehicle that has a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) or Aggregate Trailer Mass (ATM) of more than 4.5 tonnes and a combination that includes a vehicle with a GVM or ATM of more than 4.5 tonnes.

Heavy vehicle operations are regulated under the HVNL and National Regulations by the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR). The HVNL and Regulations took effect on 10 February 2014. To access the legislation as it applies in NSW go to the NSW Legislation website. Roads and Maritime delivers services under a services agreement with the NHVR.

Some matters are dealt with exclusively by the NHVR, for example, accreditation under the National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme and some matters, such as registration and licensing, are managed exclusively by Roads and Maritime.

In respect of other areas of heavy vehicle operations including compliance and enforcement, vehicle standards, road access and permits, Roads and Maritime performs services on behalf of the NHVR and has direct contact with customers in relation to these matters.

Arrangements have been put in place for Roads and Maritime to issue permits for Class 1 and Class 3 heavy vehicles for travel on Roads and Maritime managed roads in NSW.

In this section...

Heavy vehicle licences


Road access


Intelligent Access Program (IAP)

Grain transport

NSW Livestock Loading Scheme

Safety and compliance

Industry information

Maps and approved roads lists

Notices and Ministerial Orders

Frequently asked questions

Documents and forms

Share this page: