Walking and Cycling
The NSW Government is committed to working with councils to make walking and cycling a more convenient, safer and enjoyable transport option that benefits everyone.
By better targeting investment to improve walking and cycling in areas where most short trips occur, the NSW Government aims to support more accessible, liveable and productive town, cities and centres by:
- Reducing congestion
- Freeing up capacity on the public transport system for those customers that need to travel further
- Encouraging walking and cycling to be the mode of choice for short local trips
The Active Transport (Walking and Cycling) program is in line with the NSW Long Term Transport Master Plan (LTTMP), Sydney’s Walking Future, Sydney’s Cycling Future and the ten Regional Transport Plans which have a focus on improving walking and cycling connections within major centres, and at public transport interchanges.
2017-18 Walking and Cycling Programs
The 2017-18 walking and cycling program has been finalised.
For information on projects delivered in 2015-16 and projects approved for delivery in 2016-17, see Walking and Cycling Programs.
Walking and Cycling Program
This section provides all the relevant reference material and forms for you to successfully submit your proposals for the Walking and Cycling Program.
In this section you will find:
Walking and Cycling Program Guidelines
This section provides resources to assist you with submitting your application:
- Walking and Cycling Program Guidelines
- Summary of key changes in 2018-19
- Walking and Cycling Programs User Guide
Frequently asked questions
Walking and Cycling Catchment Map
This map shows the 2km and 5km catchment areas for Walking and Cycling throughout NSW
Walking and Cycling Program Reference Material
- Cycling aspects of Austroad Guidelines
- Figure 2.2 Separation of cyclists and motor vehicles by speed and volume
- Figure 7.1 Guide to the choice of path treatments for cyclists
- Sydney's Cycling Future
- Sydney's Walking Future
- NSW Bicycle Guidelines
- NSW Long Term Transport Master Plan
- Regional Transport Plans
For all enquiries in regards to the 2017-18 Walking and Cycling Program please contact email@example.com.
RMS welcomes feedback in regards to the submission process.
Should you wish to provide feedback please complete the Submission Process Feedback Form.