South West Region
South West Region covers 22 per cent of NSW from the ACT border to the South Australian border and from West Wyalong to the Victorian border. Covering the South West Slopes, Riverina and Riverina Plain, South West Region has a major strategic role in the rural economy.
The large inland cities of Wagga Wagga, Albury and Griffith support government, defence, education and industrial infrastructure and services. Grain, wine, sheep, cattle and timber industries within the Region contribute significantly to Australia's export primary production. The Murray and Murrumbidgee Rivers supply 80 per cent of the NSW irrigation holdings.
South West Region manages 4,157 carriageway-kilometres of State Roads and National Highways. We also administer funding for maintenance and rehabilitation carried out by councils on 4,169 carriageway-kilometres of regional roads. The region is responsible for 714 bridges and bridge-sized culverts, and 69 sets of traffic signals.
In managing the network, South West Region faces a number of challenges. The Hume, Sturt and Newell Highway routes form an important transport grid supporting the local and national economies and carrying heavy interstate freight traffic. The topography and climate are very diverse, ranging from flat arid plains to mountainous ranges; very high summer temperatures to winter snow and ice. Major rivers (Murray and Murrumbidgee) require major crossings to meet interstate, agricultural, tourist and community needs. The management of Border bridges on the Murray River requires close coordination with VicRoads. Suitable materials are not readily available and the impact of large irrigation areas and salinity limit the use of traditional road building techniques.
The Region interacts with Councils in the following areas:
- State Roads – Road Maintenance Contracts
- Regional Roads – Block Grant Agreements, REPAIR Program, Regional Roads
- Timber Bridge Partnership
- Road Safety and Traffic Management Programs
- Traffic Committees
- Regional Consultative Committee
- Natural Disasters.
The Regional office is located at 1 Simmons Street, Wagga Wagga.
Key contacts for South West Regional Office
- Regional Office - (02) 6938 1111
- Registration and licensing enquiries - 13 22 13
- General road enquiries - 131 782
- Transport Management Centre:
- Traffic information - 132701
- Traffic incident reporting - 131700
- Regional Manager - Lindsay Tanner
- Asset Manager – Jonathan Tasker
- Network and Safety Manager – Karin Summerfield
- Principal Manager Project Delivery – Ron Zahorodny
- Senior Communications & Stakeholder Engagement Officer - Mardi Motton
- Environment Manager – Daniel Francis
- Infrastructure Property Manager - Deborah Davey
- Shared Service Delivery Manager – Allison Comerford
- Enforcement Operations Manager – Shaun Williams
- Engineering Services Manager - Wayne Walgers
- Regional Maintenance Delivery Manager - Mitchell Judd
Updated 1 May 2015
- Jerilderie Shire Council
- Junee Shire Council
- Leeton Shire Council
- Lockhart Shire Council
- Murray Shire Council
- Murrumbidgee Shire Council
- Narrandera Shire Council
- Temora Shire Council
- Tumbarumba Shire Council
- Tumut Shire Council
- Urana Shire Council
- Wagga Wagga City Council
- Wakool Shire Council
- Wentworth Shire Council
- Yass Valley Council
- Young Shire Council