Point to point transport
Point to point transport provides flexible, convenient options for customers to get from A to B via the route they choose at a time that suits. Point to point transport includes taxis, hire cars, tourist services, rideshare services and community transport.
From 1 November 2017, the Point to Point Transport (Taxis and Hire Vehicles) Act 2016 (the Act) and Point to Point Transport (Taxis and Hire Vehicles) Regulation 2017 (the Regulation) will provide a new regulatory framework for passenger services undertaken in any vehicle with 12 seats or less (including the driver). From this date, the Act, the Regulation and the powers of the new industry regulator, the Point to Point Transport Commissioner, will come into effect. The changes will allow for a more competitive and flexible point to point transport industry. More information is available at Transport for NSW and Point to Point Transport Commissioner.
Until 1 November 2017, Roads and Maritime Services remains the industry regulator and the current rules under the Passenger Transport Act 1990 will continue to apply.
At midnight on 31 October 2017:
- All hire car, taxi and tourist operator accreditations and taxi network authorisations issued by Roads and Maritime will cease to have effect. The Regulation contains provisions to assist with the transition of currently accredited operators and networks to the new regulatory framework. The Point to Point Transport Commissioner will write to operators and networks to inform them of how the transition affects them.
- All taxi and private hire vehicle driver authorities issued by Roads and Maritime will cease to have effect. Until this time, all point to point drivers must continue to hold driver authorities. Drivers who hold a valid driver authority on 31 October 2017 will be automatically transitioned to the new regulatory framework. Roads and Maritime will write to these drivers to inform them of the process and they do not need to take any action now.
More information on what point to point transport drivers will need to do to comply with the new regulatory framework will be available soon.
- Fact sheets for drivers and operators (the requirements in these fact sheets continue to apply until midnight on 31 October 2017):
- Proof of identity requirements when applying for driver authorities
- Notice for passengers - Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle driver authorities extended