Point to point transport drivers
The new Passenger Transport licence code
All taxi, private hire vehicle and tourist vehicle (motorcycle and 4WD) driver authorities will cease to have effect at midnight on 31 October 2017.
Drivers who held a valid taxi, private hire vehicle or tourist vehicle driver authority at midnight on 31 October 2017 were automatically transitioned to the new regulatory framework. Read the fact sheet for current drivers for more information.
From 1 November 2017, driver authorities will no longer be required by taxi, private hire vehicle and tourist vehicle drivers.
Instead, taxi and booking service providers may have a requirement for drivers to have a new Passenger Transport licence code on their driver licence record. The Passenger Transport licence code will help drivers and industry demonstrate they meet their safety requirements under the new regulatory framework.
To be eligible for a Passenger Transport licence code, a customer must:
- Meet the medical standards for commercial vehicle drivers set out in Assessing Fitness to Drive, published by Austroads and the National Transport Commission, and
- Hold an unrestricted Australian driver licence that has expiry date that is not more than 5 years from date of application (a person who holds a driver licence exceeding the 5 years they must be re-issued with a 5 year licence).
Applications for the Passenger Transport licence code can be processed at a Service NSW centre.
The applicant will be required to:
- Complete the Application for a Passenger Transport licence code including signing the privacy statement and Application for a Passenger Transport Licence Code
- Provide proof of identification – see Proving your identity
- Pass a commercial standard medical test (if you declare a medical condition).