Non accident towing records
Under Clause 49 of the Tow Truck Industry Regulation 2008 (the Regulation) a licensee must make a record of on each occasion a licensed tow truck is used or operated by a tow truck driver for any towing work other than accident towing work.
Under Clause 49 of the Tow Truck Industry Regulation 2008 (the Regulation) a licensee must make a record of the following on each occasion a licensed tow truck is used or operated by a tow truck driver for any towing work other than accident towing work:
- The time and date on which a motor vehicle is towed
- Details of where the motor vehicle is towed from and the destination of the tow
- The registration number of the motor vehicle, or, if there is no registration number, the chassis number or the engine number (if any) of the vehicle
- The name and contact details of the person who arranged for the motor vehicle to be towed
- The name and contact details of any person who takes possession of the towed motor vehicle at the destination of the tow
- Details of any charges made by the licensee in relation to the tow.
To clarify some of the questions that have been raised in regard to clause 49:
- You may record non-accident tow details at your approved business premises (as opposed to in the tow truck/s)
- You can use computerised records as the primary record keeping method provided a hard copy of the record/s is also regularly printed and stored (at least weekly)
- Information already gathered does not need to be duplicated into a totally new record (information gathered for other purposes under Clause 49 (1) (a) – (f) is an acceptable record)
- For towing work performed as part of a formal written contract you may use a reference to the generic contract rate (eg Roads and Maritime clearway tow rate) provided you also have a ‘schedule’ of each abbreviation and the relevant charge or other information. It may also be referenced to an invoice or receipt number
- If you do not use a computerised system, appropriate data collection could include a simple spreadsheet or log book that captures the required information
- Please note that the record and any associated invoices, receipts or documents must be stored at your approved place of business under the Tow Truck Industry Act 1998 and the Regulation.
Roads and Maritime Services has developed forms for the towing industry to record non accident towing movements: