Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) funds research of measures that may minimise the impact of roads on biodiversity. Biodiversity research assists planning, design, construction and maintenance of the road network.
RMS has funded research on:
- The design and effectiveness of fauna underpasses and overpasses.
- Impact of roads (construction and operation) on koalas.
- Threatened microbats on bridges.
- The design of transparent noise walls to minimise bird strike.
- The impact of bridge construction and operation on mangrove and estuarine saltmarsh habitats.
- Research on scent deterrents in the management of vehicle and fauna collisions.
- Green and Golden Bell Frog population monitoring.
- Threatened bird, reptile and fish responses to road construction.
- Translocation of threatened species and rehabilitation of key habitat (Purple Copper Butterfly – Paralucia spinifera).
- Offsetting biodiversity impacts.