Getting your full licence takes more than a couple of years, and there are different rules for driving depending on whether you’re on your Ls, your ‘red’ Ps (also known as P1) or your ‘green’ Ps (also known as P2).
The Geared website is here to help you through the stages so you know exactly what you need to do to stay on track, stay safe and stay legal.
We’ll be here to help you prepare for tests, answer your questions and provide tips and good advice from driving instructors and Roads and Maritime Services testing officers – the people who assess whether you’re ready to take the next step.
Here’s a summary of what you need to do:
- Pass the Driver Knowledge Test (DKT) – this gets you a learner licence
- Hold your learner licence at least 12 months for drivers under the age of 25. Complete 120 hours minimum driving practice (log book records the driving experience)
- Pass the Driving Test – progress to a Provisional Licence – stage 1 (P1 or ‘red’ Ps)
- Hold your P1 licence for a minimum of 12 months
- Pass the Hazard Perception Test – progress to Provisional Licence – stage 2 (P2 or ‘green’ Ps)
- Hold your P2 licence for a minimum of 24 months
- Pass the Driver Qualification Test (DQT) – progress to a full licence
keys2drive is an Australian Government-funded program which provides learner drivers and their parents/supervisors a free driving lesson with a keys2drive accredited professional driving instructor.