When you undertake the test a Roads and Maritime Services testing officer will assess your driving skills around a specified test course.
What do I need to do to undertake the driving test?
You will need to:
- Book in for the test outside of the Sydney, Central Coast and Newcastle regions at a motor registry or by phoning 13 22 13.
- Pay the test fee.
- Provide a current NSW photo-licence or satisfactory proof of identity.
- Complete a licence application form (Roads and Maritime Services form 1001).
- Pass a knowledge test for the class of licence you wish to obtain.
- Pass an eyesight test.
Once you have passed the driving test you should pay the appropriate fee to upgrade your licence.
The test gives the driver credit for good performance.
The testing officer will mark the test sheet with either a ‘YES’ or ‘NO’ for each check made.You require a score of 95 per cent and no fail items to pass the test.
What do testing officers look for during the test?
The testing officer scores most performance checks at specific locations on a test route. Some checks, such as the ability to use the vehicle controls, are assessed continuously during the test.
Here are some other examples of checks which will be made during the test:
- Braking to a line.
- Maintaining safe buffer zones.
- Selecting when to merge or enter a stream of traffic.
- Observation and use of mirrors.
- Selection of appropriate speed and vehicle position when turning.
- Co-ordination of gears, clutch, accelerator and other major controls.
- Correct signalling.
As part of the test you must describe to the assessor, the process for coupling and uncoupling heavy combination (HC) and pre-departure check (all classes).
The following table shows which manoeuvres are conducted and tested for the various licence classes and types.
|Manoeuvre||Heavy vehicle licence class or type|
|Long reverse||MR truck, MR bus, HR truck, HR bus, HC|
|Bus stop skills||MR bus, HR bus|
|Reverse park||LR truck, LR bus, MR truck, MR bus, HR truck, HR bus, HC|
|U-turn (3 point turn)||LR truck, LR bus|
|Kerbside stop||LR truck, LR bus, MR truck, MR bus, HR truck, HR bus, HC|
|Pre-departure check||MR truck, MR bus, HR truck, HR bus, HC|
If you do anything during the test that is unsafe or against the law, you will fail.