Full rider licence

After you have held your provisional (P2) rider licence for a minimum of two years (24 months) you can upgrade to a full rider licence. It is your responsibility to attend a motor registry to have the licence upgraded and a new photo taken.

To upgrade, go to your nearest registry or service centre. Take your provisional (P2) rider licence and pay the licence fee.

Riders over age 25

Riders over the age of 25 who meet RMS requirements may receive an exemption from the P2 phase. To be eligible for an exemption from the P2 phase, riders must:

  • Be 25 years of age or older when they apply for the unrestricted driver licence.
  • Hold a current Australian unrestricted driver licence.
  • Have completed a minimum of 12 months on a P1 licence.
  • Meet all other licensing requirements.