Learner rider licence

You must be at least 16 years and 9 months old before you can be issued with a learner rider licence. You do not have to hold a driver licence to get a motorcycle licence.

You must also either attend a pre-learner course (declared areas) or pass the rider knowledge test (undeclared areas). You may book into and attend a pre-learner course at the age of 16 years and 6 months.

Pre-learner courses - declared areas

If you live in a 'declared area', you must attend a pre-learner course. The pre-learner course is held over two days (3.5 hours each day). Motorcycles, helmets, gloves and tuition are provided at the training centre.

The pre-learner course is designed for people with no motorcycle riding experience. 

However, learning to ride a motorcycle requires a high level of balance, co-ordination and concentration and not everyone has these skills. If you can ride a bicycle and drive a manual car you probably have the necessary basic skills. If you can’t, or if it is a long time since you did, you may require time to progress through the training.

The training is a competency based course with a pass or fail criteria. You will only be permitted to continue riding if you have passed all of the competencies, in order. For your safety and that of others, the instructor may stop you from riding during the course. If you are stopped from riding, the instructor will advise you of the best way to proceed with your training.

Note: If a scooter is required for training please nominate the type of motorcycle at the time of booking.

Attending a course

For information about training courses, including arrival times, the equipment/clothing you require, and what happens in bad weather, see About rider training courses.

After the course

Once you have successfully completed the course, you will be issued with a pre-learner Certificate of Competence (green in colour). A Certificate of Competence is valid for three months from the date of issue.

To get a learner rider licence, go to your nearest registry or service centre and:

  • Take your Pre-learner Certificate of Competence.
  • Take your proof of identity documents.
  • Complete the Licence Application form.
  • Pass an eyesight test.
  • Pass the rider knowledge test. A fee is applicable and a booking may be required (bookings for a knowledge test can be made from the myTests section of this website or by phoning 13 22 13).
  • Pay the licence fee.

You will then be issued with a learner rider licence, valid for 12 months.

How to obtain your licence in an undeclared area

If you live in an undeclared area, that is, an area where the pre-learner course is not available, you will need to go to your nearest registry and:

  • Complete the Licence Application form.
  • Pass an eyesight test.
  • Pay for and pass the rider knowledge test.
  • Pay the licence fee.

Note: Even if you live in an undeclared area, you may complete a pre-learner course if you wish.

Conditions for learner riders

Learner rider licence holders are subject to the following conditions:

  • Mobile phones – Mobile phone use is banned for learner riders. You must not use a mobile phone while riding or while your motorcycle is moving or is stopped but not parked. This includes phones in the hands-free mode or with the loudspeaker operating. The penalty for mobile phone use is 3 demerit points and a fine, or 4 demerit points if the offence occurs in an operating school zone.
  • Zero Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) – This means you cannot ride a motorcycle after consuming ANY form of alcohol.
  • Demerit points – If you incur 4 or more demerit points during a 3-year period, your licence will be suspended for 3 months.
  • Display of L signs – L signs must be clearly displayed on the rear of the motorcycle and the letter L must not be hidden.
  • Licence class – A Rider 'R' class licence means you can only ride motorcycles.
  • Speed limit – You must not ride faster than 90 km/h and must observe the speed limit where it is below 90 km/h.
  • Towing – You must not tow a trailer or any other vehicle.
  • Location restrictions – You must not ride in Parramatta Park, Centennial Park or Moore Park when in Sydney.

Demerit points and suspension/cancellation

Your learner licence will be suspended or refused if you reach or exceed 4 demerit points.

Progressing to a provisional P1 rider licence

To progress to a provisional P1 rider licence, you must meet the minimum tenure requirements, and complete pre-provisional training (in declared areas) or pass a riding test (undeclared areas).

Pre-provisional course requirements

You must hold the learner licence for a minimum period of three months before you can attend the pre-provisional course. Make sure you book into a pre-provisional course at least 4 to 6 weeks before your learner rider licence expires.  

Learner rider licences are valid for 12 months. If you have not passed the pre-provisional course within 12 months, your learner rider licence will expire and you will need to attend the pre-learner course again.

Undeclared areas

You must hold the learner licence for a minimum period of three months before you can attempt a riding test.

To get a provisional rider licence, go to your nearest registry, visit myTests on this site or phone 13 22 13 and pay for and make a booking for your riding test.

After you have passed the test, pay the licence fee to be issued with your provisional rider licence.