NSW Photo Card

The NSW Photo Card is a voluntary card for people who do not hold a current NSW driver licence, or other form of photo identification, to help them show who they are. It may be used to help access a number of everyday services such as sending or receiving international mail, opening bank accounts and entering licensed premises.

A NSW Photo Card will show your name, address, date of birth and photo.

From August 2013, gender will no longer be printed on NSW Photo Cards.

The NSW Photo Card replaces the Proof of Age Card.
(The Proof of Age Card became redundant on 14 December 2008).

Photo Card Regulation 2014

The draft Photo Card Regulation 2014 and the Regulatory Impact Statement were released on 12 March 2014 for public consultation, which closed on 11 April 2014.

Six submissions were received during the consultation. They showed full support to the draft Regulation. Transport for NSW would like to thank those who made a submission.

The project is now completed. The Photo Card Regulation 2014 can be accessed on the NSW Legislation website.

It commences on 1 September 2014 and replaces the Photo Card Regulation 2005. This ensures continued support to the NSW Photo Card scheme. NSW Photo Cards are voluntary cards that may be issued to NSW residents at least 16 years of age who do not hold a driver licence.

Please visit the Transport for NSW website for more information.

How do I get a NSW Photo Card?

To be eligible for a NSW Photo Card you must:

  • Be a NSW resident.
  • Be aged 16 years and over.
  • Not hold a current driver licence or Proof of Age Card (if you do you will need to surrender your driver licence or Proof of Age Card when you apply for your NSW Photo Card).
  • Meet the standard proof of identity requirements for Roads and Maritime Services.

How to apply

The Photo Card application (form 1359) is available online or from any registry. Simply bring the completed form to any registry with appropriate proof of identity documents, proof of residential address and the administration fee.

To ensure the card's legitimacy, applicants must pass a strict proof of identity process. You will be required to produce original documents that prove who you are to Roads and Maritime Services. Your current residential address and signature must appear on at least one of these documents. For more information see Proof of identity.

Plan ahead – your card may be posted to you

We’re changing the way we print and issue photocards. At certain locations, when you apply for or renew a NSW Photo Card, your card will be posted to you at no extra cost.

See Centralised photocard printing for more information.


The NSW Photo Card may be issued or replaced free of charge to eligible pensioners, including war widows.

From 26 November 2012, the NSW Photo Card may also be issued or replaced free of charge to NSW Seniors Card holders, and Department of Human Services - Centrelink Carer Allowance recipients. Please see the NSW Photo Card Q & A to check whether you are eligible.

Keep your card close

Just like a driver licence, your NSW Photo Card holds important personal information about you so be careful who you give your card details to. Only police officers or Roads and Maritime Services-authorised personnel are permitted to seize a card. You should not let any person or business scan your card. Businesses may only take a copy of your card with your permission.

Lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed cards

If your NSW Photo Card is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, you can get a replacement online or by visiting any Roads and Maritime Services registry as soon as possible. You will need to pay a replacement card fee unless you are eligible for a concession. See Licensing fees.

Proof of Age Card

The Proof of Age card has been replaced by the NSW Photo Card. New and replacement Proof of Age cards are no longer available. If your Proof of Age Card is lost, stolen or destroyed you can apply for a NSW Photo Card.

From 14 December 2008, Proof of Age cards are no longer valid.