Proof of Australian permanent residency
From 18 April 2008, new licensing rules apply to visiting overseas drivers/riders who want to obtain a NSW licence for the first time. If the proof of identity documents you present do not include a document from the list below, the new rules may apply to you. See Temporary overseas visitors obtaining a NSW licence for more information.
Acceptable proof of Australian permanent residency documents:
- Australian full Birth Certificate showing parental details.
Note: Commemorative certificates are not acceptable (except for 1987 and 1988 NSW Historic Birth Certificates). See the Births, Deaths and Marriages website for information.
- BDM photo Birth Card
- Australian passport
- Certificate of Australian Citizenship
- Australian Naturalisation Document
- Certificate of Aboriginality
- Certificate of evidence of residency status
- Permanent Resident Evidence (PRE) ImmiCard
- Current ID document from Australian Passport Office
- Current Australian Defence Force photo ID
- Overseas passport or travel document which includes a valid Australian permanent residency visa. Note: Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) may verify your permanent residency status online with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. RMS may also use the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) Service to verify permanent residency if you present an overseas passport without evidence of permanent residency.