The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether you need a licence. Anyone who is the operator of a power-driven vessel operating recreationally on NSW waters, at a speed of 10 knots (approximately 18.5km/h) or more must have a general boat driving licence. Anyone who drives a personal watercraft (PWC) at any speed must have a PWC driving licence.

Combined driver licence and boat driving licence

Eligible customers can combine their boat driving licence and unrestricted driver licence (all classes) onto one card. Find out more about Combined driver licence and boat driving licence

In this section...

How to get a NSW licence

Combined driver and boat driving licence

Renew, replace or update

Learn more about digital licences

Proving your identity

Boating Knowledge Quiz

Moving to NSW

Licence fees

Frequently asked questions

Documents and forms

Share this page: