Navigation Restriction - Hastings River, Port Macquarie
(Marine Safety Act 1998 s.12)
Hastings River, Port Macquarie, NSW
BARGE OPERATIONS - BRIDGE CONSTRUCTION
7:00am to 6:00pm Mondays to Fridays from May 2015 to June 2017
Roads and Maritime Services has awarded Lend Lease the contract to build a bridge over the Hastings River at Port Macquarie as part of the Pacific Highway Upgrade. To enable the completion of the bridge works a 20 metre barge will be deployed to carry out preliminary drilling, temporary loading area and temporary bridge construction, rock placement, signage installation and inspections.
Vessel operators are advised that Roads and Maritime has declared that the above works, which are to be conducted on the Hastings River approximately 500 metres upstream from the existing Pacific Highway bridge (Dennis Bridge) between the hours of 7:00am and 6:00pm, Mondays to Fridays from May 2015 to June 2017, are a SPECIAL EVENT pursuant to Section 12(2) of the Marine Safety Act 1998.
Major construction will include; loading area, temporary bridge, all piers and the deck.
SPECIAL EVENT/CONSTRUCTION AREA
Due to the potential to affect the safety of navigation, a Special Event Area/Construction Area (‘the Area’) will be established around the works on the navigable waters of the Hastings River approximately 500 metres upstream from the existing Pacific Highway bridge (Dennis bridge) between the above times.
This Special Event/Construction Area will be will be bounded by silt curtains and yellow special marks (yellow buoys) and lights at night, at intervals of approximately 50 metres. The barge will be fitted at night with an all-round white light and 4 flashing orange lights to indicate its location.
Roads and Maritime advises that in relation to the Area vessel operators must navigate with extreme caution, and in addition, must;
- Comply with any directions given by any Boating Safety Officer or Police Officer in relation to the Special Event or to marine safety. Failure to comply with any such direction is an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.15A - Maximum Penalty $3,300.00)
- maintain vessel speed at no more than 4 knots and no towing within the marked speed and towing restriction zone and within 100 metres of floating plant or work in progress;
- keep a proper lookout at all times; and
- keep vessel wash to a minimum so as to not impact the works.
- Maintain a safe distance from any work vessels associated with the operation
A marked and lit navigation channel on the northern side of the Hastings River will be maintained for most of the duration of the bridge construction. This will be indicated by port (red) and starboard (green) buoys on approaches to the Special event/Construction area.
MAPS & CHARTS AFFECTED
Roads and Maritime Boating Map – 5A
For further information regarding this navigation warning, please contact the Roads and Maritime Info line 131236 (8:30am – 5:00pm M–F, 8:30am – 4:00pm Sat–Sun)
MARINE NOTICE NO. NH1531