Navigation Restriction - Nambucca River, Macksville
(Marine Safety Act 1998 s.12)
Nambucca River, Macksville
BARGE OPERATIONS - BRIDGE CONSTRUCTION
from 20 July 2015 to September 2016
7:00am to 6:00pm Mondays to Fridays
8:00am to 1:00pm Saturdays
Roads and Maritime Services advises that to facilitate the completion of bridge works over the Nambucca River at Macksville as part of the Pacific Highway Upgrade, one 60 metre barge and two 30 metre barges will be deployed to carry out piling operations, pier construction and U girder installation.
Vessel operators are advised that Roads and Maritime has declared that the above works, which are to be conducted on the Nambucca River approximately 1.4 kilometres downstream from the existing Pacific Highway bridge (Macksville Bridge) between the hours of 7:00am to 6:00pm, Mondays to Fridays, and 8:00am to 1:00pm, Saturdays from 20 July 2015 to September 2016, are a SPECIAL EVENT pursuant to Section 12(2) of the Marine Safety Act 1998.
Major construction will include; temporary jetty, piers, installation of pre-cast U girders and deck.
SPECIAL EVENT AREA
Due to the potential to affect the safety of navigation, a Special Event Area (‘the Area’) will be established around the works on the navigable waters of the Nambucca River approximately 1.4 kilometres downstream from the existing Pacific Highway bridge (Macksville Bridge) between the above times.
This Area will be will be bounded by silt curtains and yellow special marks (yellow buoys) and lights at night, at intervals of approximately 50 metres. The barges will be fitted at night with lights to indicate their location.
A speed restriction of 4 knots will be imposed in the Area, and will be indicated on temporary signage and on buoys.
- Persons within the vicinity of the Area must comply with any directions given by a Boating Safety Officer or Police Officer in relation to marine safety. Failure to comply with any such direction is an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.15A - Maximum Penalty $3,300.00).
- Vessels are required to maintain a safe distance and speed from the works and operators are reminded that the production of wash which impacts unreasonably on the works is an offence (Marine Safety (General) Regulation – clause 9 – Maximum Penalty $5,500.00).
- Vessel operators failing to leave the Special Event Area when directed to do so are liable to an offence (Marine Safety Act, s.12(6) – Maximum Penalty $1,100.00)
- Towing activity is strictly prohibited. Any vessel operator engaged in towing in the Special Event Area is liable to an offence (Marine Safety Act, s.12(6) – Maximum Penalty $1,100.00)
- Vessel operators in breach of any speed limit imposed by temporary signage are liable to an offence (Marine Safety Act, s.11 – Maximum Penalty $1,100.00)
- Vessel operators in the vicinity of the works must keep a proper lookout at all times.
A marked and lit navigation channel on the Southern side of the Nambucca River will be maintained for most of the duration of the bridge construction. This will be indicated by port (red) and starboard (green) buoys on approaches to the Area.
MAPS & CHARTS AFFECTED
Roads and Maritime Boating Map – 5A
For further information regarding this navigation warning, please contact the Roads and Maritime Info line 131236 (8:30am – 5:00pm M–F, 8:30am – 4:00pm Sat–Sun)
MARINE NOTICE NH1531