Navigation Restriction - Nambucca River, Macksville, NSW
(Marine Safety Act 1998 s.12)
Nambucca River, Macksville,NSW
BARGE OPERATIONS - BRIDGE CONSTRUCTION
7:00am to 6:00pm - Mondays to Fridays
8:00am to 1:00pm - Saturdays
June 2015 to September 2016
Roads and Maritime Services has awarded Pacifico the contract to build a bridge over the Nambucca River at Macksville as part of the Pacific Highway Upgrade. To enable the completion of the bridge works one 60 metre barge and two 30 metre barges will be deployed to carry out piling operations, pier construction and U girder installation.
Vessel operators are advised that Roads and Maritime has declared that the above works, which are to be conducted on the Nambucca River approximately 1.4 kilometres downstream from the existing Pacific Highway bridge (Macksville Bridge) between the hours of 7:00am to 6:00pm, Mondays to Fridays, and 8:00am to 1:00pm, Saturdays from June 2015 to September 2016, are a SPECIAL EVENT pursuant to Section 12(2) of the Marine Safety Act 1998.
Major construction will include; temporary jetty, piers, installation of pre-cast U girders and deck.
SPECIAL EVENT/CONSTRUCTION AREA
Due to the potential to affect the safety of navigation, a Special Event Area/Construction Area (‘the Area’) will be established around the works on the navigable waters of the Nambucca River approximately 1.4 kilometres downstream from the existing Pacific Highway bridge (Macksville Bridge) between the above times.
This Special Event/Construction Area will be will be bounded by silt curtains and yellow special marks (yellow buoys) and lights at night, at intervals of approximately 50 metres. The barges will be fitted at night with lights to indicate their location.
Roads and Maritime advises that in relation to the Area vessel operators must navigate with extreme caution, and in addition, must;
- Comply with any directions given by any Boating Safety Officer or Police Officer in relation to the Special Event or to marine safety. Failure to comply with any such direction is an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.15A - Maximum Penalty $3,300.00);
- maintain vessel speed at no more than 4 knots and no towing within the marked speed and towing restriction zone and within 100 metres of floating plant or work in progress;
- keep a proper lookout at all times;
- keep vessel wash to a minimum so as to not impact the works; and
- maintain a safe distance from any work vessels associated with the operation.
A marked and lit navigation channel on the Southern side of the Nambucca River will be maintained for most of the duration of the bridge construction. This will be indicated by port (red) and starboard (green) buoys on approaches to the Special event/Construction area.
MAPS & CHARTS AFFECTED
Roads and Maritime Boating Map – 4A
For further information regarding this navigation warning, please contact the Roads and Maritime Info line 13 12 36 (8:30am to 5:00pm Mon – Fri, 8:30am to 4:00pm Sat & Sun)
MARINE NOTICE NO. NH1572