Navigation Restriction - South West Rocks - Construction of Fishing Platform
South West Rocks Creek (Back Creek), South West Rocks
Construction of Fishing Platform
Daylight hours - Monday 10 October to Friday 23 December 2016
Roads and Maritime Services advises vessel operators that SMC Marine Pty Ltd will be constructing a timber fishing platform upstream of the South West Rocks (Back Creek) footbridge, South West Rocks, during daylight hours only from Monday 10 October 2016 to Friday 23 December 2016. As a result temporary restrictions to navigation will be in place.
The fishing platform will run parallel along the upstream side of the timber footbridge bridge then continue upstream for 27 metres along the southern side of the navigation channel.
Roads and Maritime has declared that the above works are a SPECIAL EVENT pursuant to Section 12(2) of the Marine Safety Act 1998.
SPECIAL EVENT AREA
Due to the potential to affect the safety of navigation, a Special Event Area (‘the Area’) will be established in the vicinity of the South West Rocks Creek (Back Creek) footbridge and will extend 100 metres from the works area. Earth moving machinery will be used to carry out the works. Cautionary Special Navigational markers and signage advising boaters to navigate with extreme caution will be in place in the vicinity of the works area.
Roads and Maritime advises:
- Persons within the vicinity of the Area must comply with any directions given by a Boating Safety Officer or Police Officer in relation to marine safety. Failure to comply with any such direction is an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.15A - Maximum Penalty $3,300.00).
- Vessels are required to maintain a safe distance and speed from the works and operators are reminded that the production of wash which impacts unreasonably on the works is an offence (Marine Safety Regulation 2016 – clause 11 – Maximum Penalty $5,500.00).
- Vessel operators failing to leave the Special Event Area when directed to do so is an offence (Marine Safety Act, s.12(6) – Maximum Penalty $1,100.00)
- Towing activity is strictly prohibited and participating in towing in the Special Event Area is an offence (Marine Safety Act, s.12(6) – Maximum Penalty $1,100.00)
- Exceeding any speed limit imposed by temporary signage is an offence (Marine Safety Act, s.11 – Maximum Penalty $1,100.00)
- Vessel operators in the vicinity of the works must keep a proper lookout at all times.
MAPS & CHARTS AFFECTED
Roads and Maritime Boating Map – 4B
For further information regarding this navigation warning, please contact the Roads and Maritime Info line 13 12 36 (8:30am – 5:00pm M–F, 8:30am – 4:00pm Sat–Sun)
MARINE NOTICE NH16117