Navigation Restriction - Ballina, Lennox Head & Evans Head beaches - North Coast shark net trial
(Marine Safety Act 1998 s.12)
Ballina, Lennox Head & Evans Head Beaches Coral Sea
NORTH COAST SHARK NET TRIAL
12 month trial commencing November 2017
ADVICE TO MARINERS
The NSW Government has announced a second shark net trial will take place at five beaches on the NSW North Coast following the review of results of the first trial. This trial will see the continuation of SMART drumline buoys and the deployment of shark nets.
The second trial will take place at the same five beaches:
- Lighthouse beach, Ballina (near surf club) - GPS 28*52.31’S & 153*35.87’E
- Sharpes beach, Ballina (southern end) - GPS 28*50.13’S & 153*36.63’E
- Shelly beach, Ballina (centrally) - GPS 28*51.91’S & 153*36.12’E
- Seven Mile beach, Lennox (near surf club) - GPS 28*47.20’S & 153*36.13’E
- Main beach, Evans Head (near surf club) - GPS 29*06.26’S & 153*26.36’E
The nets are generally set parallel to beaches, approximately 500 metres off the shore, near the surf clubs and patrolled swimming areas. They are marked by floating buoys with reflective tape and set in approximately 10 - 12 metres of water. Their exact location is determined by the prevailing and forecast sea conditions, winds and currents.
The second trial is also investigating changes to the net operations and design, to reduce bycatch numbers. This will affect the above water clearance from the surface to the net. Vessel operators are advised to keep well clear.
A lit special marker buoy has been deployed at the southern end of the net at Lighthouse Beach Ballina to assist vessels navigating in or out of the Richmond River. Special marker buoy GPS location 28*52.38’S & 153*38.83’E.
- Do not swim in the vicinity of, or operate your vessel near the nets
- Do not handle or otherwise interfere with the nets
- It is an offence to interfere with, vandalise, or otherwise make the nets in any way ineffective or inoperable
- For urgent enquiries such as whale entanglement call 1300 550 474
- Do not attempt to free any entangled marine life. Only DPI contractors are permitted to handle the nets
- DPI contractors will check the nets everyday, weather permitting.
For further information go to www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/sharks
MAPS & CHARTS AFFECTED
- Roads and Maritime Boating Map – Coastal Map 1-2
- Aus 813 and Aus 220
For further information concerning this Navigation Advice please contact Roads & Maritime Services Boating Safety Officer, Marcus Cahill phone: 0455093266
MARINE NOTICE NH17104