Navigation Restriction - Wollongong Harbour
(Marine Safety Act 1998 s.12)
SPLASH AND DASH FESTIVAL 2016
8:00am to 11:30am - Sunday 18 December 2016
Vessel operators are advised that Roads & Maritime Services has declared that the above event, which is to be held on Wollongong Harbour between 8:00am and 11:30am Sunday 18 December 2016 is a Special Event pursuant to Section 12(2) of the Marine Safety Act 1998.
SPECIAL EVENT & EXCLUSIVE USE AREA
Due to the potential to affect the safety of navigation, Roads and Maritime has granted an Exclusive Use Aquatic Licence to Robert Battocchio to conduct the event. A Special Event/Exclusive Use Area (‘the Area’) will be established between the above times and on the navigable waters of Wollongong Harbour that is roughly triangular in shape and comprises waters defined by:
- the shoreline adjacent to the intersection of Harbour Street and Cliff Road; to
- the eastern side of the remnants of the stone structure adjacent to the Wollongong Slipway; to
- the entrance into the Wollongong Harbour;
- tothe shoreline in the north-western corner of Wollongong Harbour and adjacent to the Continental Ocean Pools.
At a location approximately 20 metres inside each point of the triangle, brightly coloured buoys will be established. These buoys will form the rounding markers of the race course and competitors will be racing on a course outside these rounding marks. Accordingly vessel operators should be aware that the Area extends 20 metres outside the rounding marks.
Roads and Maritime advises that in relation to the Area:
- Persons within the vicinity of the Area must comply with any directions given by a Boating Safety Officer or Police Officer in relation to the Special Event or to marine safety. Failure to comply with any such direction is an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.15A - Maximum Penalty $3,300.00).
- No unauthorised vessels are permitted to enter the Area and to do so may be an offence (Marine Safety Act 1998, s.12(6) - Maximum Penalty $1,100.00)
MAPS & CHARTS AFFECTED
Roads and Maritime Boating Map – 10A
Naval Chart AUS195
For further information concerning this Navigation Restriction, please contact Roads and Maritime Info Line 131 236 (8.30am – 4.30pm, seven days a week)
MARINE NOTICE SO1667